10 Shows you should be watching on Netflix

Photo by Fernanda Paz

Looking for a new show to binge-watch or to fill the gaping hole left by the last series you recently finished? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Whether you’re looking for drama, comedy, action, romance, or a little bit of everything, Netflix has plenty to choose from. With summer rapidly approaching, those stressful days of worrying about homework and tests will soon be replaced by long, lazy days with nothing to do but soak up some rays. Here are just a few of the most popular shows on Netflix that will make the summer months a little more enjoyable.

Orange is the New Black: This Netflix original series premiered on July 11 of last year, with the whole 26-episode season being released at once. “Orange is the New Black” is the true story of Piper Kerman (Piper Chapman in the show) and her year in a women’s prison. The series is based on a book of the same name, written by Kerman herself. The show chronicles Kerman’s time in prison for smuggling drug money into the country when she was 23. This show was nominated for numerous awards including Best Performance by an Actress for Taylor Schilling’s performance as the character Chapman. The second season is due to premiere on Netflix on the sixth of June so there’s still time to catch up on the first season before you binge-watch the second.

House of Cards: Another Netflix original series, “House of Cards” follows D.C. politician Frank Underwood and his exploits to get revenge on the people who betrayed him. This Emmy Award winning drama is definitely addictive and is highly recommended for people who like political shows. The second season premiered on Valentine’s Day so now there is even more drama to watch. There is no word on the third season premiere date.

Scandal: This ABC drama is another political show focusing on Olivia Pope, a fixer who worked for the President before opening her own scandal management firm. She also happens to be having a long standing affair with the President of the United States. If that’s not enough to reel you in, Olivia and her team deal with different scandals every episode involving high ranking officials in Washington, D.C., ranging from finding a Governor hopeful for a ‘political wife’ to saving someone who has been set up for murder. The show is on its third season and the first two are on Netflix. Once you start watching this show you will not be able to stop. “Scandal” is on Thursdays at 10 p.m. on ABC.

Breaking Bad: If you never watched “Breaking Bad” when it was on TV, now is the time to watch it on Netflix. The show ended last year after five seasons and all seasons are now on available Netflix. “Breaking Bad” is the story of high school chemistry teacher turned crystal meth maker, Walter White, and his rise, and subsequent fall, to the top of the meth selling world. Walt is diagnosed with stage three lung cancer in the first episode and to ensure his wife and son’s monetary well-being, decides to start cooking the purest meth New Mexico has ever seen. Walt teams up with his former student, Jesse Pinkman, and together they build an empire, evading police and Walt’s DEA brother-in-law Hank for about two or three years. The show was nominated for numerous awards and won multiple Emmy and Golden Globe Awards over the years, with a total 67 wins and 127 nominations, according to IMBD.

The Walking Dead: Think a zombie apocalypse is in our future? Then you better check out “The Walking Dead.” Zombies have taken over the country, and probably the world, in this AMC show. It follows a group of people in Georgia, trying to stay alive and kill as many “walkers” as they can. People are lost, zombies are killed, friends and enemies are made, oh and did I mention zombies are killed? This show definitely isn’t for the faint of heart and the squeamish but if you can handle some blood and guts, check this show out. The fourth season just ended and seasons one-three are currently on Netflix.

How I Met Your Mother: If you are in need of a little laughter in your life, cozy on up and listen to the nine-season-long story of how Ted Mosby met the mother of his children. If you haven’t watched HIMYM before, go watch it right now. It has everything you could ever want in a sitcom; friendship, romance, comedy, fights, shenanigans, hopeless romantics and slap bets. Eight seasons are on Netflix and the ninth and final season just ended last week. If you are looking for something to keep you occupied for a while and you loved “Friends”, then this show is a must watch. It’s legen…wait for it…dary!

Dawson’s Creek: Here’s a throwback show for all you girls who weren’t quite old enough to watch it when it was first on TV but watched the reruns after the show ended. “Dawson’s Creek” was your typical high school drama in the late 1990s-early 2000s. The show took place on Cape Cod, although it wasn’t actually filmed there. It follows Dawson Leary and his best friends through high school and college, documenting all the ups and downs of teenage love and loss. The show is so 90s but that’s what makes it so great. All six seasons are available on Netflix.

Lost: Lost may have ended in 2010 but its crazy plot line has certainly not lost its appeal. The outrageous notion that a plane crash-lands on a mysterious, seemingly deserted, island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and more than 50 people actually survive is exactly how this show starts off. The passengers of Oceanic Flight 815 find themselves on the beach of a deserted island after their plane crashes. The group has to adjust to their new life on the island while waiting for help that never comes. The series revolves around the suspense of finding out the truth behind what happened to these people, how they all survived that plane crash, and if they are going to make it off the island. Curve balls are thrown every episode for an ending you will not see it coming. You might be left with more questions than answers at the end of this series but it is definitely worth the watch if mystery/action/adventure is what you’re looking for. The full series is available on Netflix for instant enjoyment.

Dexter: Dexter Morgan is a Miami police forensics expert moonlighting as a serial killer. Dexter studies paint-splatter at crime scenes during the day while killing unpunished criminals at night. I haven’t actually watched this show yet but it is on my list. The show has received rave reviews and has been winning awards since it started, another good indicator of how entertaining it really is. Originally only shown on Showtime, all eight seasons are now on Netflix for everyone to enjoy.

GrΣΣk: This ABC Family show is about college Greek life, following Casey and Rusty Cartwright, brother and sister attending Cyprus-Rhodes University. Casey is an upperclassman and member of the most prestigious sorority on campus and is in line to be president of the chapter. Rusty is a lonely freshman who decides to join a fraternity, much to the dismay of Casey. Through six seasons, we see the ins and outs of being in a sorority or fraternity in college and the importance of family and good friends. All seasons are Netflix and is worth the watch if you are involved in Greek life or simply want a relatable show about college life.

Whether it’s one of these shows or any of the thousands of other series and movies Netflix has to offer, there’s something for everyone to enjoy this summer. Just don’t forget about your summer job!

Ally Michitson can be reached at [email protected]