UMass releases their seventh email of the semester on COVID-19 testing data

Testing data from March 2-8 continues to show a decrease in cases, and a reminder on the updated mask mandate

Photo by Ryan Scott Creative Commons

In an email to the university on Thursday, Ann Becker and Jeffrey Hescock, co-directors of the Public Health and Promotion Center (PHPC), explained that as of last week, there were a total of 41 positive cases.  At the state-wide level, the most recent seven-day positivity rate is 1.61%. UMass’ positivity rate is 1.28% for this week, whereas last week’s was at 2.09%.

Of those positive cases, 24 are on-campus students, 16 are off-campus students and one person for faculty and staff. 3,212 tests were performed overall. As of Feb. 24, the vaccination rate for students is 97.78%.

The email went on to reiterate the announcement that was sent out on Wednesday about the university’s decision to lift the mask requirement for most indoor settings.

A similar decision was made by the town of Amherst. According to their website, the mask mandate was lifted March 10.

After spring break, vaccine clinics will continue to be offered on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m starting March 23. It’s encouraged that everyone books an appointment, but walk-ins are accepted as well.

As a friendly reminder, symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID-19 testing is available for students, faculty and staff on campus, regardless of vaccination status at UHS and CCPH. Off-campus testing sites for students include the Jones Library, located at 43 Amity St., and the Bangs Community Center, located at 70 Boltwood Walk.

COVID-19 data and vaccination rates for the week of March 2-8.