Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Emily Abrams

This season while everyone is out enjoying their pumpkin spices lattes and hot cider, try something new: a sweet fall smoothie with a festive kick that’s chockfull of vitamins and nutrients. This combination of whole apples, kale, fresh ginger, bananas, apple cider, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla extract is a vibrant green color and will give you just the boost you need during the chilly fall season.

The major health component in this smoothie is kale. According to WebMD, ( legit source?) Kale just happens to be one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet and it is also one of those dark and leafy greens that can survive and flourish in cooler weather. Its abundance of vitamins A, C, K, Carotenoids and flavonoids provide cancer fighting antioxidants and a multitude of other health benefit including eye-health promoting compounds. Fiber in this leafy vegetable can help lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.

Kale bought fresh at the grocery store or farmers market can last up to 5 days in the refrigerator. For extra storage life, seal the unwashed kale in an airtight zipped plastic bag.

Ginger – another key ingredient in this autumnal blender treat – has a tremendous amount of health benefits as well. In India, ginger-infused chai tea is a popular home remedy for the common cold. Back here in the U.S., ginger can be added in smoothies, used as a fragrant and zesty addition to any meal, eaten raw on the side or shaved over your favorite dessert.

Ginger, like kale, knows no shortage of health benefits. Eating fresh ginger can stimulate your appetite, help with the absorption of nutrients in the body, clear up sinuses. When mixed with a little bit of honey it can help with stomach cramps and nausea

Bananas are next on the list of super-hero foods. High in Potassium, Bananas can do wonders, from things as severe as helping to prevent heart disease, and to adding iron to strengthen your blood and calcium, to kicking that hangover from last night, this super fruit is an essential to smoothies everywhere.

Last but not least, apples add the finishing touch to this delicious smoothie recipe. Eating apples can help to reduce tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria in your mouth, and drinking apple juice can help to prevent the effects of aging on the brain. The high fiber content in apples can aid in the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, so keep those skins on!

Just imagine all of the health benefits that will come from this little smoothie containing, not to mention the flavors!

Ingredients:

3 small apples

2 leaves of kale (washed)

1 tbsp. fresh chopped ginger

1 banana (peeled)

1/2-cup apple cider

1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. ground cloves

2 drops of vanilla extract

1/2 cup of ice

First, chop the fresh ginger. Add the chopped ginger and banana to the blender and pulse for a few seconds. Next, add the apple cider, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla extract and pulse again for a few seconds. Add chopped apples (leaving the skin on for extra fiber) and 2 leaves of fresh kale. Throw in some ice and blend it all together. The smoothie should be a bright healthy green color with little red pieces of apple peel. Add a dash of cinnamon or cloves on top for that extra fall spice kick and then pour, serve and enjoy!

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Lifestyle

Top 5: Ways to manage stress this semester

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Lifestyle

Colors of India

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Around the Valley

Pot for thought: marijuana’s impact on local food businesses

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Food/Health

Top five: tips for dealing with sickness at UMass

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Food/Health

Instagram and its effect on body image

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Lifestyle

Portland, Maine: A winter wonderland

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Lifestyle

A Brazilian Christmas

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Food/Health

Top five: Relaxation tips for finals week

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

About

Tired of turkey? Try Hot Pot this Thanksgiving

• Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie

Food/Health

Top five: Apple recipes for the Thanksgiving table

Mix Up an Autumn Smoothie