Boston College Hockey tears apart UMass, 7-3 the final in Chestnut Hill

After a five goal first period for the Eagles, the Minutemen could not bounce back, losing in one of their worst games of the year.

The Boston College Eagles came out firing against the unprepared UMass Minutemen. Goaltender Luke Pavicich let in 5 goals on 18 shots and was pulled after the first period. In one of the most important doubleheaders of the year, the Minutemen crumbled.

Towards the end of the Vermont series, Pavicich clearly lost his confidence. Backup goalie Henry Graham should have started this game and UMass paid for it. Five straight BC goals dictated the outcome of this game. It was all kicked off by Forward Colby Ambrosio, and chaos ensued. This effectively ended Pavicich’s night early.

Graham entered the game in the second period, allowing one goal and saving eight. That one goal was junior forward Nikita Nesterenko’s second of the night, which at the time made the BC lead 6-0. Graduate student forward Matt Koopman was able to get two of the three Minutemen goals in the period, cutting into the Eagles’ large lead. Freshman defenseman Owen Murray earned his first career collegiate point, assisting Koopman’s first goal.

Starting the third period, junior netminder Cole Brady made his first appearance since November 11 against Boston University. Just like Graham, Brady let in a goal, facing six shots. The goal scorer was Nesterenko once again, good for his third of the night, a hat trick.

Freshman forward Kenny Connors scored the final Minutemen goal, his ninth on the season, UMass’ current goal-leader. The powerplay for the men in maroon continues to be solid; they killed six out of seven BC power play opportunities. The only goal came on a five-minute major penalty taken by sophomore forward Taylor Makar. The Minutemen continue to take large amounts of penalties, hindering their own ability to score.

Above all, the effort was simply not there for UMass hockey last night. It has been a challenge for the Minutemen as of late to put in a full sixty-minute effort on the ice. If the Minutemen want any chance at winning tonight’s game in Amherst and splitting the series, they’ll need a drastic shift in the way they are playing.