UMass student charged with three counts of rape, released from jail

Courtney Murtagh, Assistant Campus News Editor

AMHERST – A University of Massachusetts Amherst student was arraigned in the Eastern Hampshire District Court on Jan. 30, 2018, on three counts of rape, and was released from jail the next day on $7,500 surety, according to MassLive.

Ryder Chilcoff, 21, is allegedly connected to an incident that occurred at John Quincy Adams residence hall on Dec. 9, 2017.

UMass Police Officer Derek Napoli was investigating vandalism at Chilcoff’s door when he saw a 19-year-old female student. When he asked the student if she knew Chilcoff, the student broke out in tears.  She told police “she had been taken advantage of,” and she didn’t know how she got to Chilcoff’s room or what had happened, according to the police report.  

MassLive reports that when interviewed by the police, Chilcoff initially said he had met a woman at the party, but later said he had made that part up, and investigators should “just cross all that out. Sorry.”

Officer Napoli wrote in his report that due to the woman’s intoxication level she was not able to give consent.  

Chilcoff, the Villa Park, California native, denied all charges and was held at a $7,500 cash bail, and was released the next day on surety.

Chilcoff is ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim, who does not live in his residence hall, surrender his passport, sign a waiver of rendition, as well as follow all UMass rules, according to a statement released by the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office.

UMass Amherst Deputy Director of Media Relations Mary Dettloff assured that the university is taking immediate action, first by prioritizing the health and safety of the survivor, then by imposing interim restrictions pending disciplinary proceedings.

This could include restrictions on visiting university housing and restrictions on attending events and other university activities, on or off campus.

Chilcoff is due to return to court on March 1, 2018. If Chilcoff is found guilty, he will face a range of sanctions, including expulsion and jail time.

According to the UMass annual Clery report in 2016, there were 16 reported on-campus rapes, per MassLive.

Email Courtney at [email protected], or follow her on Twitter @CourtneyMurtag3. 

• UMass student charged with three counts of rape, released from jail

UMass student turns carbonated passion into club

Brett Kavanaugh is a Supreme Court Justice. Now what?

UMass TA from Syria uses research article to reveal humility some Syrians feel

Current Affairs

Nike campaign refuels Kaepernick debate

Five tips for new students

Entertainment

808s and Ankle Breaks Podcast: Episode 23

At UMass, Jackson Katz seeks ‘paradigm shift’ in how we understand sexual assault

Is Plan B easily accessible at UMass?

Students mourn the FAC’s black squirrel

Students of color unwind after racist incidents at UMass