Entertainment winners, losers of the week

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

This is the ninth installment of “Entertainment winners and losers of the week,” covering Oct. 8-14.

Jonathan Kermah

Winner: Hip-hop Twitter

Hip-hop Twitter had a field day with the new Quavo album, “Quavo Huncho.” Because I haven’t listened to the album yet, I won’t go as far as to choose the Migos member as my loser pick. But, here are some of the funniest Tweets I’ve come across.

Loser: Vic Mensa

Is there ever a circumstance where it’s okay to speak ill of the dead? While I can’t think of any circumstance where it is okay, it’s definitely not okay to do it in front of the victim’s mother.

While Vic Mensa took a dig at deceased rapper XXXTentacion in his BET Hip-Hop Awards cypher. The controversial lyric, “Your favorite rapper’s a domestic abuser,” is assumed to be aimed at deceased rapper XXXTentacion, who was accused of domestic violence. At the prerecorded awards show, XXXTentacion’s mother was in attendance to receive the rapper’s best new artist award. Mensa came out and apologized.

It should be noted that Vic Mensa himself also has a history of domestic violence.

Tiffany Chasse

Winner: Taylor Swift

On Oct. 7, Taylor Swift took to Instagram to talk about politics.

View this post on Instagram

I’m writing this post about the upcoming midterm elections on November 6th, in which I’ll be voting in the state of Tennessee. In the past I’ve been reluctant to publicly voice my political opinions, but due to several events in my life and in the world in the past two years, I feel very differently about that now. I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG. I believe that the systemic racism we still see in this country towards people of color is terrifying, sickening and prevalent. I cannot vote for someone who will not be willing to fight for dignity for ALL Americans, no matter their skin color, gender or who they love. Running for Senate in the state of Tennessee is a woman named Marsha Blackburn. As much as I have in the past and would like to continue voting for women in office, I cannot support Marsha Blackburn. Her voting record in Congress appalls and terrifies me. She voted against equal pay for women. She voted against the Reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which attempts to protect women from domestic violence, stalking, and date rape. She believes businesses have a right to refuse service to gay couples. She also believes they should not have the right to marry. These are not MY Tennessee values. I will be voting for Phil Bredesen for Senate and Jim Cooper for House of Representatives. Please, please educate yourself on the candidates running in your state and vote based on who most closely represents your values. For a lot of us, we may never find a candidate or party with whom we agree 100% on every issue, but we have to vote anyway. So many intelligent, thoughtful, self-possessed people have turned 18 in the past two years and now have the right and privilege to make their vote count. But first you need to register, which is quick and easy to do. October 9th is the LAST DAY to register to vote in the state of TN. Go to vote.org and you can find all the info. Happy Voting! 🗳😃🌈

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

Before now, the star didn’t voice her political opinion. Her post not only spiked voter registration, but gained support from various other famous artists, such as Katy Perry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BotWp5UF09w/?hl=en&taken-by=badgalriri

Over 160,000 new voters registered after Swift’s post, 42 percent of whom were between the ages of 18 and 24. Not everyone was happy with her post, *cough cough* President Trump, but many followers supported her stance. Those we look up to have an impact on our decisions, and pop sensations are no exception. I’ll see you at the polls!

Loser: Ed Sheeran

The 2018 American Music Awards seemed promising for artist Ed Sheeran. The singer was nominated for six awards including: Artist of the Year, Tour of the Year, Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist, Favorite Pop/Rock Album, Favorite Pop/Rock Song,and Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist. However, all six awards were given to other candidates.

While it is a privilege to even be nominated for awards of such high praise, getting your hopes up and subsequently let down six times in a row is not an easy task. 

Barbara Talagan

Winner: Lana Del Rey

Singer Lana Del Rey recently got into a Twitter war with rapper and singer Azealia Banks. The feud started when Del Rey criticized Kanye West’s recent support of Donald Trump.

Banks replied to Del Rey’s post, calling her out for collaborating with ASAP Rocky, who has also been accused of assault. Del Rey responded, “Say it to my face…I won’t not f*** you the f*** up. Period.”

Loser: Azealia Banks

Sadly, the Twitter war waged on. Azealia responded that she would sue Del Rey for threatening her. Del Rey replied with, “Tell him it’s a promise not a threat.” The brawl intensified. Banks threatened to perform voodoo on Del Rey’s house while she sleeps. These tweets are  not out of the ordinary for Banks, who regularly gets into fights with other celebrities such as Nick Cannon, Rihanna, and Cardi B to name a few.

Hayley Solomon

Winner: Met Gala

The Met Gala just got interesting with Harry Styles, Serena Williams, and Lady Gaga as next year’s event co-chairs. The theme for this year’s gala is “camp,” after the Metropolitan Museum of Art announced that its Costume Institute’s fashion exhibit for the spring 2019 will be “Camp: Notes on Fashion.” This will be an exciting Met Gala, with many interesting fashion statements.

Loser: Kanye West

It’s just another week of Kanye West completely embarrassing himself. This time, he took it to the White House. He, Trump and Kid Rock all had lunch in the Oval Office. West went on a tangent that did not make much sense. If you want to watch the breakdown of this catastrophe, watch Jimmy Kimmel’s Oct. 12 opening segment.

Katherine Kelley

Winner: Post Malone’s haircut

Post Malone ditched his signature hairstyle for a new do. Some fans are sad to see the look go, while others happily welcome it. I personally think he looks better now (see what I did there).  Either way, I don’t think Posty has to worry. People will listen to his music regardless of his haircut. Except maybe Seth Rogen…

Loser: Joe Giudice

“Real Housewives of New Jersey” star Joe Giudice may be getting deported when he finishes serving his sentence for a slew of fraud charges. His undocumented status and criminal record may result in the family heading back to Italy. They have relatives there and it is a beautiful country, so maybe it’s not the worst thing?

Kacey Connolly

Winner: Brittany Snow

Actress Brittany Snow took to Instagram yesterday in support of World Mental Health Day with a video about her own struggles with anxiety, depression and eating disorders. Snow elaborated on her struggles and gave support to all young men and women in similar circumstances. She even admitted to currently fighting anxiety and depression, despite many years of battling them both. I can imagine that opening up such a personal part of yourself to the world is difficult, but Snow did so with grace and ease, offering a hand to those in need.

Loser: Kim Kardashian West

Not only did Kanye West himself take the liberty to meet with President Trump, but his wife Kim Kardashian West voiced support for her husband. It’s bad enough that Kanye West has been on his own wild rampage promoting Trump, trying to “make America great again,” but to now incorporate his reality TV star wife into the mix? Maybe Kim Kardashian West should voice an opinion of America’s current political platform that isn’t just, “I support my husband.” Then again, maybe they should both just stay away from politics altogether.

Trevor Wilson

Winner: Denzel Curry

After dropping his critically acclaimed album “TA1300,” Denzel Curry has moved into the spotlight as one of hip hop’s most talented and unique artists. For someone of such stature, it can be difficult talking about personal issues in the public eye. Curry appeared on “The Breakfast Club,” where he made a startling disclosure about his childhood.

After discussing the #MeToo movement on the show, Curry seemed a little distressed and one of the hosts asked him if he himself had ever been molested. Curry replied with, “You know, I’ma be real, I did get molested when I was young.” Curry “doesn’t like talking about it,” for he doesn’t “want that to define” him as a person.

Props to Denzel. It can be extremely difficult to talk about sexual abuse, especially in the spotlight. However, we must bring attention to sexual abuse. When a star like Curry opens up, it sparks a national dialogue. Hopefully Curry’s confession leads to more artists opening up about sexual abuse.

Loser: The Minnesota Timberwolves

Jimmy Butler returned to practice with a bang. After requesting a trade earlier in the off-season, Butler played with maximum intensity as he individually challenged his teammates like Andrew Wiggins and Karl Anthony-Towns.

However, this is just the tip of the iceberg. During the practice, Butler teamed up with the third stringers, insisting that they play against the starting lineup. Lo and behold, Butler beat the Minnesota starters with his own squad made up of players who barely see playing time. During the scrimmage, Butler guarded Anthony-Towns in the paint, forcing him to pass the ball out of the paint.

If there’s any glimmer of hope for the Timberwolves, it’s that Butler seems like he’s going to stay.  Hopefully Butler’s performance inspires the team to be their best.

• Entertainment winners, losers of the week

Entertainment

‘This Is Us’: Three new developments from Season 3, Episode 6’

Entertainment

Entertainment

808s and Ankle Breaks Podcast: Episode 26

Entertainment

808s and Ankle Breaks Podcast: Episode 25

Entertainment

“Quavo Huncho” review: Please make it stop

Entertainment

Singer-songwriter Jessie Reyez keeps momentum with “Being Human in Public”

Entertainment

Top five: Halloween movies for people who hate Halloween

Entertainment

Get a spooky dose of Disney Channel nostalgia with these three episodes

Entertainment

‘This Is Us’: Three new developments from Season 3, Episode 5

Entertainment