UMass SGA discusses UMass for the kids at second annual meeting

The organization raised over $280,000 last year for the kids at Baystate Children’s Hospital.

(Laurie Sexton/Amherst Wire)

The Student Government Association was called into session for the second time this semester on Oct. 2, 2019, for the 1805th meeting at the Campus Center Room 163.  The first two meetings of the semester consisted of swearing in newly elected officials, discussing various issues UMass Amherst faces, where each senator stands on certain issues, what they are doing to implement positive change and different processes and deadlines for applications and budgets.

However, the most rewarding discussion came from UMass For The Kids (FTK) and the promotion of their yearly 12-hour dance-a-thon held each spring. Last year this fundraiser raised over $282,123.76. This year’s marathon will take place on April 18, 2020.

(Laurie Sexton/Amherst Wire)

Umass FTK is an organization made up of students that help children of BayState Children’s Hospital. Over 40, 000 children ranging with a diagnosis from cancer to premature babies are assisted and without the partnership of UMass FTK, many of these services offered may not be offered. 

The mission of UMass FTK is to encourage collaboration between UMass Amherst students, faculty and the Western Massachusetts community by working to raise awareness and funds for local patients and families of Baystate Children’s Hospital, in connection with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.