UMass Football Transfer Portal Tracker

Offseason transfer tracker for Minutemen football
Kalina Kornacki

Last year UMass took 22 players from the transfer portal and many more from years past. Often, transfers can have a big impact on a new roster. For example, Taisun Phommachanh, Kay’ron Lynch-Adams, Anthony Simpson and Juan Lua were all transfers who had big impacts on the Minutemen last season. 

UMass has also seen the transfer portal have negative effects on their past rosters including last year when starting cornerback Josh Wallace transferred to Michigan.

Leaving UMass for  the NFL Draft

Wide Receiver Mark Pope

Pope was a consensus four-star prospect coming out of high school and landed at the University of Miami (FL, before transferring to Jackson State under coach Deion Sanders. Upon Sanders’s departure from the program, Pope transferred once more to UMass. Over the season, Pope totaled 429 yards and a touchdown for the Minutemen, but will now turn his attention to the NFL.

Tight End Gino Campiotti

One of the most intriguing players on the Minutemen roster, Campiotti began his career in Amherst as a quarterback. However, after Phommachanh’s arrival, he made a tough decision to switch to tight end but he found immediate success. After tallying 289 receiving yards and four touchdowns, Campiotti earned second-team all independent honors from Phil Steele.

Offensive Lineman Cole Garcia

Garcia spent four years at Rice before transferring to UMass and taking over a starting guard role with the Minutemen. After six years in college, Garcia is out of eligibility and will turn professional to keep playing football. 

Offensive Lineman Marcellus Anderson

Anderson took a similar path to Garcia and began his playing career at Saginaw Valley State before coming to UMass. In 2023, he took over a starting role as a guard on the offensive line with Garcia. Anderson has proven to be a solid pass-blocker and will look to get on a 90-man NFL roster in the fall. 

Defensive End JB Brown

Brown began his collegiate career at the University of Arizona in 2019 where he made six starts but only played in four games over the next three years. Looking for a change, Brown found a new home at UMass and played in 12 games over the 2023 season. He recorded 4.5 tackles for a loss and 2.5 sacks on the season as well as a pass breakup. 

Linebacker Jerry Roberts Jr. 

Another transfer from the University of Arizona, Roberts began his career at Bowling Green before going to Arizona and starting 18 games. The Erie, Penn. native made 10 appearances on the season and tallied 37 tackles and two TFLs. 

Cornerback Juan Lua

Lua began his career at College of the Desert before transferring to a stop at Saddleback College before coming to UMass for the 2023 season. In his first season playing Division I ball, Lua recorded two interceptions against Army and Toledo. He also added five pass-breakups in the year. 

Cornerback/Safety Dashaun Jerkins

Jerkins began his career with two SEC teams: Vanderbilt and Ole Miss. Jerkins made 15 starts at Vanderbilt before heading to Ole Miss for his senior year. With Ole Miss, he only saw action in five games prompting a transfer to UMass. With the Minutemen, Jerkins appeared in nine games and recorded an interception against Miami (Ohio). Along with Lua, Jerkins entered his name in the NFL Draft pool.

Leaving UMass through the Transfer Portal

Nov. 26. – Quarterback Carlos Davis

Davis transferred to UMass from FCS Western Carolina. The Maryland native played three seasons there before joining the Minutemen. Davis began the season as a backup to Phommachanh but took over following an injury to Phommachanh against Auburn. He started three games and threw for six touchdowns. With Phommachanh expected to return in the starting role, Davis has elected to transfer. 

Nov. 26. – Wide Receiver Christian Wells 

The first of four Minutemen receivers to hit the portal was Wells. His career began at Appalachian State where he appeared in 35 games before moving north to Massachusetts. However, Wells could not establish a repertoire in the passing game and only tallied 169 yards and one touchdown on the season. 

Nov. 28. – Kicker Cameron Carson

Carson began his career with the Maine Black Bears before coming to UMass. He went 32/50 on field goals in his UMass career, with a long of 49 this past season. Carson also hit 62/65 PAT attempts. His departure will send UMass into the portal looking for a kicker. 

Nov. 28. – Long Snapper Ethan Dumont

After a year with Weber State, Dumont has spent the past three seasons with UMass. The past two seasons have seen Dumont take over as the starting long snapper. 

Nov. 28. – Tight End Jackson Manning 

Originally from Georgia, Manning came to UMass and has seen time as a reserve tight end, making 14 appearances over four seasons. Manning has not recorded any stats. 

Nov. 28. – Safety Michael Oppong 

Oppong originally came to UMass after a one-year stint at Bryant. Over four seasons at UMass, Oppong totaled 26 appearances. He tallied one interception, a pass breakup and 23 tackles with the Minutemen. Oppong also had the second-highest coverage grade in 2023 for all Minutemen, according to PFF. 

Nov. 28. – Defensive Tackle Jonathan Martin 

The third-year defensive lineman has only appeared in one game during his time with the Minutemen. Martin will elect to take his two remaining years of eligibility elsewhere. 

Nov. 29. – Wide Receiver George Johnson III

One of the more notable Minutemen to hit the portal was Johnson III. The former Michigan Wolverine followed Don Brown from Ann Arbor to Amherst. In 2022, Johnson III immediately made an impact by racking up 402 yards and a touchdown. He improved his numbers slightly, finishing with 421 yards and three touchdowns during the 2023 campaign. 

Nov. 29. Defensive Back Dorian Helm

Helm appeared in 24 games through three seasons with UMass. Helm only appeared in four games this past season. However, he has special teams experience which will benefit him at his next school. 

Nov. 29. – Offensive Tackle Jonny Hassard

Hassard is another key loss for the Minutemen going forward. The 6’6”-310 tackle has been a pivotal piece for UMass, starting 36 games at left tackle and right tackle through his four years as a Minuteman. 

Nov. 29. – Wide Receiver Shawn Harris Jr. 

After tallying over 1,000 receiving yards at Stony Brook, Harris Jr. elected to transfer to UMass. The speedy wideout also struggled to establish a firm connection in the passing game, catching 16 balls for 152 yards. Harris Jr. will have one year of eligibility left wherever he goes. 

Nov. 29. – Tight End Eni Falayi 

Falayi, a native of Peabody, Mass. joined the Minutemen in 2021 but did not see action until 2022, when he caught two passes. He only had one catch during the 2023 season against UConn and will look to continue his collegiate career elsewhere. 

Nov. 30. – Offensive Linemen Tyler Leinberger

Leinberger has spent two years with the Minutemen but has not found playing time. With three years of eligibility remaining, Leinberger will have the potential to be a solid piece wherever he goes. 

Nov. 30. – Quarterback Brady Olson

A starting quarterback at Milford High School, Olson began his career at UMass in 2021 appearing in nineteen games over his three seasons. He threw for 1,936 yards and 10 passing touchdowns. However, Olson was relegated to fourth-string quarterback at the start of the season and will now look for a new squad in 2024. 

Dec. 1. – Linebacker Josh Brunelle 

Brunelle came to Amherst from Worcester and has spent four years with the program. Over that time, he has made 13 appearances on defense and tallied one tackle. He has been a staple on special teams with 15 starts on that unit. 

Dec. 1. – Wide Receiver Zamar Wise 

Wise is listed as a receiver on UMass’ depth chart but has found most of his playing time with UMass at the quarterback position. Wise threw for 66 yards and ran for 180 over his three-year programs, but only saw the field once during 2023. 

Dec. 1. – Cornerback Jordan Mahoney

Perhaps the biggest name to go in the portal, Mahoney has been a staple on the UMass defense since 2021. Mahoney made his biggest impact in 2022 with three interceptions, six pass breakups and three forced fumbles. Injuries held back Mahoney in 2023, but he has the talent to start for a power-five school. 

Dec. 1. – Tight End Jason Weir

Another Massachusetts native, Weir has spent three years with the program and in that time has been a depth piece making 13 appearances. 

Dec. 2. – Long Snapper Tate Kendall

Kendall, a preferred walk-on, spent just one season with UMass and made three appearances. Despite expectations he would take over starting long snapper duties with Dumont gone, Kendall elected to enter the portal as well. 

Dec. 3. – Cornerback Tristan Armstrong

With 27 appearances under his belt, Armstrong has plenty of experience on special teams and defense. Armstrong could never carve out a consistent role with the Minutemen defense but he recorded eight tackles over four games last season. 

Mar. 25. – Defensive End Marcus Bradley 

Right before the start of spring practices, Bradley elected to hit the portal. Bradley spent three years with the Minutemen as a rotational pass rusher. He totaled 3.5 sacks in his time with UMass and was likely in line for a starting role this season. 

Mar. 25. – Linebacker Nahji Logan 

Logan is one of the toughest losses UMass will face heading into Spring practices. A Yeadon, Pennsylvania product, Logan led the MInutmen with 60 tackles last season. He also totaled 4 TFLs and earned All-Independent Defense Second Team according to College Football Network. 

Mar. 25. – Defensive Back Darius Gooden

Originally a Rutgers commit, Gooden spent two seasons in Amherst and appeared in 19 games. He recorded four tackles and one pass breakup during his time here. 

Mar. 25. – Defensive Back Osei Dixon

After spending four seasons with UMass, Dixon is entering the portal as a grad transfer. In his time with UMass, he saw action on special teams primarily and recorded one tackle. 

Mar. 28. – Running Back Kay’ron Lynch-Adams

Lynch-Adams originally declared for the NFL Draft entering the offseason but decided to hit the transfer portal in late 2023, before returning to UMass. Now, Lynch-Adams has hit the portal again following a tremendous season with UMass. He totaled 1,157 yards and a team-leading 12 touchdowns. His presence on offense will be difficult for the Minutemen to replace.

Mar. 29. Running Back Greg Desrosiers Jr

After Lynch-Adams hit the portal Desrosiers Jr. was expected to take over the starting role for the Minutemen this season. In two seasons with UMass, he ran for 511 yards including 162 in a game last season against Merrimack. With Desrosiers Jr.’s departure, Jalen John is expected to be the starter unless another running back is brought in through the portal.

Entering UMass through the Transfer Portal 

Dec. 16. – Offensive Tackle Luke Painton

Originally, Painton began his career at Columbia as a tight end but converted to an offensive tackle before the start of the 2023 season. An MCL sprain cut Painton’s season short, but he made seven starts as an offensive tackle. Painton is 6’6”-307 and will offer similar size on the offensive line to Hassard, who has left UMass. 

Dec. 16. – Cornerback Lake Ellis

Ellis spent three seasons starting for the Bryant Bulldogs and will now further his football career with the Minutemen. Standing at 6’0”-180, Ellis totaled six interceptions and 19 pass breakups over his three seasons with Bryant. He was also a member of the Big South-OVC’s Second Team All-Conference Defense. A native of Orlando, Fla, Ellis will be a pivotal piece in rebuilding a depleted UMass secondary. 

Dec. 17. – Linebacker Jadrian Gibbs 

After spending two seasons at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, Gibbs chose to continue his career at UMass. Over two seasons, Gibbs played in 15 games and totaled 60 tackles and two interceptions. Gibbs’ size will allow him to play a hybrid linebacker/safety role with the Minutemen. Louisiana Tech and Eastern Kentucky among others, also offered Gibbs.

Dec. 17. – Tight End Dominik Mazotti

After four seasons and 747 receiving yards with San Jose State, Mazotti entered the portal as a grad transfer. Along with being a dependable run blocker, Mazotti’s career-high 323 yards in 2023 are just the beginning. Prior to his UMass commitment, he received offers from UNLV, Eastern Michigan and UConn. 

Dec. 21. – Wide Receiver Jakobie Keeney-James

With five seasons of college football under his belt at Eastern Washington, Keeney-James hit the transfer portal. He totaled 825 receiving yards and four touchdowns across 37 career games. Keeney-James also runs a 4.41 40-yard dash and will be a speed threat deep for UMass. In the portal, he also received offers from Nevada and Hawaii. 

Dec. 22. – Offensive Tackle Brayden Rohme

Rohme spent his past five seasons with the University of California. In that time, he started in 15 games at both tackle spots while appearing in 36 total games. He played in 10 of 12 games this past season but did not start any. At 6’6”-290, Rohme will compete with Painton for a starting tackle spot next season. He is also the first P5 transfer Brown’s staff has picked up this offseason.

Dec. 26. – Wide Receiver Frank Ladson

After spending time with Clemson and Miami (FL), Ladson has chosen to reunite with Phommachanh, a former Clemson teammate. Originally, Ladson was the 39th-best recruit in the 2019 class according to 247 Sports Composite rankings. Ladson totaled his best collegiate season last year with 300 all-purpose yards and a touchdown. A reunion with Phommachanh could ignite the talent that has yet to fully emerge.

Jan. 14. – Tight End Jaelyn Lay 

Lay also began his collegiate career at Clemson with Phommachanh and Ladson. After transferring from Clemson, Lay ended up at Alabama State where injuries hampered his playing career. After five collegiate seasons, Lay only has 100 yards, but with a 6’7”, 260-pound frame a breakout is possible.

Jan. 14. – Defensive Lineman Jaylen Hudson

With five seasons under his belt at Wake Forest, Hudson chose to hit the transfer portal. During his time at Wake Forest, he appeared in 46 games and made one start. He totaled two tackles for a loss in his five seasons. Hudson will look to replace the hole left by Brown’s departure on the defensive line. 

Jan. 14. – Quarterback Ryan Jankowski

Jankowski comes to UMass after spending two seasons with Akron. After a successful high school career in Vero Beach, Florida, Jankowski only threw one pass attempt over three seasons with Akron.

Jan. 14. – Defensive Back Brennan Bailey

One of the most highly coveted transfers from D2, Bailey began his playing career at West Liberty. Bailey stands at 6’2”-170 and was a lockdown corner in the Mountain East Conference with three interceptions and nine pass breakups last season. He will bring three seasons of remaining eligibility to Amherst.

Jan. 15. – Defensive Back Ryan Barnes

Coming out of high school, Barnes was a three-star recruit and the No. 35 cornerback overall in the 2021 class according to 247Sports. However, Barnes only made seven appearances over three seasons with Notre Dame before transferring.

Jan. 15. – Wide Receiver Keshawn Brown

Brown played his first three seasons of college ball with Duquesne. At 5’8”, 150 pounds Brown is undersized for the position but has made up for that with blazing speed. Last season he gained 667 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. He also added 412 kickoff return yards and 21.7 yards per return.

Jan. 16. – Running Back Cookie Desiderio

After two seasons with Tulsa, Desiderio elected to hit the transfer portal. During his stint with Tulsa, Desiderio did not total any stats. He will look to compete with Greg Desrosiers Jr., for the second running back position following the return of Kay’ron Lynch-Adams.

Jan. 16. – Offensive Lineman Mao Glynn

With the departure of three offensive linemen for UMass, Glynn joins Painton and Rohme as possible starters for UMass in 2024. Glynn began his playing career with Cincinnati, and did not see the field often, but is likely to see a larger role with the Minutemen.

Jan. 19. – Linebacker Macklin Ayers

Ayers began his career at Dartmouth where he spent four seasons. Ayers hit his stride in 2023 after becoming a team captain. He recorded 79 tackles and three pass breakups. With linebacker being a weak point of UMass’ 2023 defense, Ayers will jump into an immediate starting role like his former Dartmouth teammate, Jalen Mackie who also found success with UMass.

Jan. 24. – Offensive Lineman Paul Tchio

Another player who began his career at Clemson with Phommachanh, Tchio spent two seasons there before spending his last two with Georgia Tech. Tchio’s college career has been underwhelming with only 16 games and one start over four seasons. Injuries have derailed Tchio’s career as he was a former top 100 recruit in the 2019 class as well as the third highest-rated guard.

Jan. 24. – Defensive Tackle Tim Grant-Randall

After a season of playing JUCO ball at Blinn College, Grant-Randall made the switch to Eastern Michigan. During three seasons he has played 25 games including all 13 of the 2023 season. Over those three seasons, he recorded seven TFLs and 2.5 sacks. At only 5’11”-275, Grant-Randall is undersized but will still have a strong role along the defensive line.

Jan. 24. – Defensive Back Jashon Watkins

Watkins began his career with Memphis but only appeared in two games over three seasons. After spending the previous two seasons with Tennessee State he tallied 21 tackles and an interception. However, Watkins did not play during the 2023 season. Watkins will join Ellis, Bailey and Barnes as new additions to the defensive back end.

Jan. 26. – Tight End Noah Staples

Staples comes to UMass from College of the Canyons, a JUCO program in California. During his one season there he played quarterback, but only recorded five completions and 35 passing yards. Staples has a solid frame at 6’3”-235 and will likely join the tight end room for UMass.

Feb. 1. – Wide Receiver Sterling Galban

Galban will join the Minutemen for his seventh season of collegiate ball following stints with Texas Tech and Jacksonville State. A native of Burnet, Texas, Galban was considered one of the fastest receivers in the state during his recruiting process. After not finding much success at Texas Tech he transferred to Jacksonville State where he started 16 games which included 559 receiving yards and four touchdowns. Galban will likely work out of the slot for UMass in the 2024 season.

Feb. 1. – Defensive Lineman Etinosa Rueben

Similar to Tchio and Phommachanh, Reuben began his career with Clemson before transferring to Georgia Tech in search of a larger role. Reuben spent four seasons and 30 games with Clemson and recorded 2.5 sacks and 3.5 TFLs. Unfortunately, Rueben did not find increased playing time with Georgia Tech and only recorded one tackle over seven games this past season.

Feb. 1. – Safety Leonard St. Gourdin

St. Gourdin joins Ayers as another transfer from Dartmouth. Originally from Massachusetts, St Gourdin chose to head north to Dartmouth and has found success over his four seasons there. Over the past two seasons, he has recorded 67 tackles and eight pass breakups. At 6’3”-205, he has the size to fit into a strong safety role with the Minutemen.

Mar. 27. – Kicker Jacob Lurie

After beginning his career with Case Western Reserve University, Lurie spent his past two seasons with the Vanderbilt Commodores. In his time there he did not see any game action so his kicking skills are still a bit of a question mark.

Apr. 29.  – Defensive Back Arsheen Jiles 

Originally, Jiles was committed to Rhode Island after entering the transfer portal earlier in the offseason. However, he chose to de-commit from Rhode Island and went to UMass on the same day. He finished with 25 pass breakups over four seasons with the Pioneers. Last season he tallied seven breakups and an interception on the way to earning All-NEC First-Team Defense honors. 

Apr. 29. – Running Back CJ Hester

Hester comes to UMass after one season with future MAC opponent Western Michigan. After finishing with 124 yards and two touchdowns on the season, Hester will look to compete for a starting job in Amherst. 

Last updated on 4/30/24 at 1 p.m.