Politics Weekend Wrap-up: Trump accuses Cruz of Gestapo tactics, Obama talks about his worst mistake

Léa Aliberti, Writer

Here’s what happened over the weekend in politics.

Trump vs. Political Process

Republican presidential candidate Donald J. Trump says a lot of questionable things, but he may be onto something here. The delegate process is an intentionally confusing one, and Trump expresses his displeasure (surprise, surprise) with the system.

He even goes on to compare himself to Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders, saying that they are both lacking in their respective party’s delegate race despite a string of state wins.

“We should have won it a long time ago,” Trump said in disdain of the delegate process. “But, you know, we keep losing where we’re winning.”

Trump accuses Republican candidate Ted Cruz’s campaign of being ruthless, doing whatever it takes to influence delegates to hop aboard the Cruz ship once they get to the GOP convention.

Trump, along with his newly-hired convention manager, Paul Manafort, attacked Cruz for supposedly using “Gestapo tactics” to earn delegate support at nominating conventions across the country by sharing delegates’ hotel room numbers in order to cajole them and their support.

And in case you didn’t know: Gestapo was the abbreviation of the official secret police of Nazi Germany and German-occupied Europe.

Definitely not something a politician would like to be associated with.

Read more on this story here and here.

Obama Opens Up

President Barack Obama had an interview with Fox News’ Chris Wallace over the weekend, admitting that his “worst mistake” while in office was:

“Probably failing to plan for the day after what I think was the right thing to do in intervening in Libya… When I go back and I ask myself what went wrong, there’s room for criticism, because I had more faith in the Europeans, given Libya’s proximity, being invested in the follow-up.”

In this month’s issue of The Atlantic, Obama referred to the situation in Libya as a “mess,” in relation to his lack of planning after the U.S. intervened in Libya. Obama criticized Europe over its failure to prevent the mess after the collapse of the Gaddafi regime.

The President specifically accused the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, saying that he failed to follow through the aftermath of the campaign he spearheaded with nation-building efforts. Obama also took a shot at the former French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, for “trumpeting” an air campaign after the U.S. had wiped out air defenses and set up the entire infrastructure.

President Obama characterized the Libyan crusade as a “sh..t show.”

Read more on this story here and here.

Tune in next week for another Politics Weekend Wrap-up with me, Léa.

Léa can be reached at [email protected]

• Politics Weekend Wrap-up: Trump accuses Cruz of Gestapo tactics, Obama talks about his worst mistake

Q and A with Jake Tapper

‘All Through the House:’ UMass artist Parker Phelps recreates childhood memories through household objects

UMass FTK Dance Marathon raises over $200,000 for local hospital

UMass Graduate Employee Organization stages sit-in at Whitmore

Did Cardi B ruin Tinder? UMass students weigh in

UMass wins Tinder #SwipeOff challenge, free Cardi B concert

‘Idea Driven:’ UMass artist Haley McDevitt’s thesis exhibition uses her mother’s sketches to encourage political thought

Fashion-related classes you didn’t know you could take

MXCC hosts third annual Afro hair braiding competition

Free Cardi B concert still a possibility for UMass right-swipers