Locals ‘Cross the Divide’ in GroundTruth panel

GroundTruth reporting fellows listen to a panel about community divides in the Pioneer Valley at UMass Amherst. The reporters will embark on a cross-country journey to report on issues dividing the country. The fellows are (from left) Eric Bosco, Mahlia Posey, Gabriel Sanchez, Rachel Cramer and Brittany Greeson. (Stephanie Murray/Amherst Wire)

AMHERST ― Residents of the Pioneer Valley impacted by by divisive differences in the community spoke about their experiences living and working in Western Massachusetts during a panel hosted by the GroundTruth Project.

The event, “Crossing the Divide: The Pioneer Valley in a Divided America,” took place Wednesday evening in the University of Massachusetts Old Chapel as part of the GroundTruth Project’s cross-country reporting tour, Crossing the Divide, sponsored locally by New England Public Radio and WGBH.

UMass graduate Charles Sennott, a former combat reporter and founder of the GroundTruth Project, moderated the panel. Sennott brought together five residents of the Pioneer Valley to share their experiences with the education and media landscape in their community.

Panelist Angelica Merino, a recent graduate from Holyoke Community College, shared her experience as an undocumented immigrant and a recipient of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program living in the Pioneer Valley.

Merino talked about the difficulty of having to pay out-of-state tuition despite residing in Massachusetts. DACA recipients are able to attend college in the U.S. but often do not receive the same treatment as other residents who have their full citizenship.

Eduardo Samaniego, a Hampshire College student attending the event, asked Merino why she thought the DREAM Act hadn’t passed in the Massachusetts Legislature.

Merino said she was unsure why Massachusetts has not passed the act and encouraged the state to pass a DREAM Act similar to the one passed in Connecticut that would allow undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at public universities. She also encouraged UMass Amherst to step up their efforts to provide scholarships for DACA recipients and other undocumented students.

James Terapane, a panelist, machinist, and the director of the Museum of Our Industrial Heritage, talked about changes in Pioneer Valley industry, pointing out that new technology and factory closings have disrupted the local industrial landscape. Despite the loss of jobs in the area, Terapane is not pessimistic.

“This region we’re in is very resilient because of its diversity,” said Terapane. “There’s a lot of hope here.”

Ray Suarez, a visiting professor at Amherst College and seasoned journalist, spoke to the current media climate both in the Valley and the nation. Suarez and Sennott said part of the problem was that the old business model for journalism had failed.

“The news business has really plummeted in public esteem and public credibility,” Suarez said.

Suarez pointed out that the way people consume media has changed over the past several decades, in large part because of widespread use of the internet.

“Because of the trail of the last 60 years, we’ve broken up a mass audience into tiny mosaic tiles,” Suarez said.

Suarez explained breaking up news sources has led to people access to different information, some accurate and some inaccurate.

“That leaves us unable to stand on the same ground,” Suarez said.

Email Faith at [email protected] or follow them on Twitter @FVGrego.

• Locals ‘Cross the Divide’ in GroundTruth panel

Around the Valley

Top 5: Popular Amherst eateries

Around the Valley

The state of legalization: Effects of marijuana dispensaries on state welfare

Around the Valley

Spring checklist: Pioneer Valley edition

Around the Valley

Farewell to Hadley: Reflections and remembrances on a bizarre home of my own

• Around the Valley

Promising potential of the Pioneer Valley in the viticulture world: What makes Western Mass. grapes special

Around the Valley

Alone in the crowd: A family of color living in a world of white

Around the Valley

Amherst Town Meeting votes to limit recreational marijuana stores

Around the Valley

Triggered: At a local gun range, the search for a silver bullet in the gun control debate

Around the Valley

Halloween hype doesn’t impact local cemeteries; but homeless do

Around the Valley

Turning up the demand for vinyl