56 UMass Students Arrested at “Free Palestine” Protest

Over 200 UMass students protested from 2 p.m. to around 1:35 a.m. in objection to the university’s contribution to militarism.
Kalina Kornacki

Students gathered outside the University of Massachusetts Amherst Student Union to protest the school’s investments and involvement in militarism. 

The demonstration started at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, with a plan to march about a half-mile to the Whitmore Administration Building where a sit-in took place. The protest was organized by UMass Amherst Students for Justice in Palestine and UMass Dissenters, two on-campus student groups. 

Demonstrators held posters and yelled chants such as “We demand UMass divest and cut ties from war profiteers which arm Isreal’s genocide in Gaza,” “We demand UMass replace war profiteers and offer better job opportunities to students by partnering with groups working towards a sustainable and demilitarized future,” “We demand Chancellor Reyes make a statement condemning Israel’s genocide in Gaza!!” 

UMass is currently partnered with weapons manufacturing companies such as Raytheon Technologies, which offers exclusive opportunities to students at the Isenberg School of Management. 

According to the UMass SJP Instagram page, over 200 students remained in the corridors of Whitmore until around 1:30 a.m. 

A correspondent for the Wire at the scene of the protest stated that the final group of students inside the building were escorted out and arrested at 1:35 a.m. 

According to a statement released by UMass, “Students were given multiple verbal warnings that the building was closing at 6 p.m.,” the statement said. “A total of 57 people who chose not to leave were arrested by UMass Police for criminal trespassing, including 56 students UMass Amherst students and one UMass Amherst employee.”

“The arrests were based on the refusal by those arrested to comply with a lawful order by UMass Police to leave the building,” the university stated. 

The statement also claimed that Chancellor Javier Reyes already released an announcement regarding UMass’ “position on the war in the Middle East.”  

“We are committed to building a community of dignity and respect where opposing viewpoints can be shared in a safe, respectful environment,” Reyes said in his statement on Oct. 10. 

Chancellor Reyes’ statement did not mention UMass’ involvement with defense contractors like Raytheon. 

Today, Chancellor Reyes Released another statement regarding yesterdays events.

“Everyone who was arrested has been released, and we will reach out to them individually as they navigate the next steps of both the judicial process and the university’s Code of Student Conduct process,” Reyes said.

Again, this statement made no mention of UMass’ ongoing partnership with Raytheon Technologies.

Administration at the Isenberg School of Management and UMPD both have yet to comment on the situation. 

UMass SJP and Dissenters have yet to respond to requests for a comment about the demonstration. 

This story is ongoing and will be updated as events progress.