UMass Family Weekend: The perfect event guide for the upcoming weekend

Show your family the best of UMass with this weekend’s student performances, art exhibitions and sports games

UMass Amherst offers a weekend experience for students and their families to visit campus, while enjoying multiple activities and events. It begins this weekend on Friday, Oct. 14 and runs through Sunday, Oct. 16.

To attend Family Weekend, make sure to register online. The Office of Parent Services has created a schedule that takes into account every event being offered for parents coming to visit campus. The schedule is also accessible to students and family members through the MyUmass app which can be accessed through the App Store or Google Play.

If you are looking for a place to stay in Amherst, the Office of Parent Services has created a page with a  list of options, including the Hotel UMass and various locations in Amherst, Hadley and other surrounding towns.

Beginning on Friday, the W.E.B. Du Bois Library will hold multiple events including tours of the building, bingo, and a presentation on 3D printing in the digital media lab. During the tour of the library, if you stop by the digital media lab, you can pick up a small 3D-printed Pokemon. 

If you would like to support your fellow Minutemen on Friday, the UMass Women’s Field Hockey team will be playing at 2 p.m. against Virginia Commonwealth University. The game is being held at the Gladchuk Field Hockey Complex on campus. 

Students and their families who are looking into off-campus housing for the following academic year should check out the Off-Campus Housing Fair. On Friday from 3 – 5:30 p.m., you can learn about pricing, availability and view virtual tours at the Campus Center Auditorium. There will also be opportunities to meet off-campus housing representatives along with students who currently live off-campus.

Starting at 3 p.m. on Friday, the Fine Arts Center will host an Art Walk between the Augusta Savage Gallery, the Hampden Gallery and the University Museum of Contemporary Art. Enjoy art exhibitions, performances and snacks while entering for a chance to win prizes. Starting at 6:30 p.m., an outdoor dance party will take place at the UMCA. Dance by the pond to a DJ playing live music while enjoying pop-up performances and large projections featured on the Fine Arts Center.

Cheer for the UMass hockey team, who will be playing against the University of Denver on Friday night. If you would like to support your Minutemen, tickets for the hockey game at the Mullins Center can be purchased online.

For families of prospective students interested in applying to UMass, there will be events providing information on the University from 10 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. on Saturday. The Director of First-Year Admissions, Mike Drish, will speak about the timeline of the application process at UMass. To attend the presentation, you will need to register online. After this session, a 90-minute walking tour of the campus with student tour guides will occur.

On Saturday afternoon, families can enjoy a barbeque before the UMass Football team plays against the University of Buffalo at 1 p.m. Tickets for the game must be purchased online. If students would like to sit with their families rather than sitting in the student section, they must purchase a ticket as well. If you would like to cheer for the UMass Men’s Soccer team, they will be playing against St. Bonaventure at noon on Rudd field. 

Finish Saturday afternoon with fun fall activities at the Student Union South Lawn. There will be wagon rides, which will take you on a trip through the center of campus. Face painting, balloon twisting and temporary tattoo designs will also be offered. If you need a snack, enjoy a caramel apple, popcorn or some delicious s’mores. 

Later in the evening, you can attend the Student Performance Showcase, which will be held at the Student Union Ballroom at 6 p.m. Enjoy fantastic student groups performing dance routines or singing a cappella.

As you wrap up your weekend, all four of the UMass Dining Commons will be offering a “Jazz Brunch” on Sunday. As long as you’re dining with a student on a meal plan, lunch will be free. If not, lunch at the dining commons is $14 per person and half off for children under age 10.

Three days of fall events and activities on campus make for the perfect weekend, allowing  students to enjoy time with parents and family members. Cheer on your Minutemen, attend student performances or explore the surrounding areas in Amherst together as a family.