Mac Jones, Patriots pull off the upset against the Bills for Belichick’s 300th career win

With everybody in New England giving up on them, the Patriots pull off a big win against the Bills.
David Silverman

Mac Jones delivers in the clutch as the New England Patriots pull off the upset against the Buffalo Bills 29-25 to snap their three-game losing streak on Sunday afternoon. With their backs against the wall and Pats Nation giving up on them, the Patriots overcame all the odds to win in Foxborough. The Patriots held the lead for most of the game until the fourth quarter when the Bills took advantage of a fumble from Patriots receiver Kendrick Bourne that gave them good field position. The Bills would score in three minutes and convert a two-point conversion to give them a 25-22 lead with under two minutes to go in the game.

All the talk lately has been about how Jones and the Patriots cannot close out games and how much the Bills have dominated them the past few years. Jones led the Patriots 69 yards downfield in 1:46 for the game-winning touchdown in one of the best drives of his career. The Patriots started the drive well with a big screen to running back Rhamondre Stevenson for 34 yards setting them up in Bills territory. Just being out of field goal range on third-and-8 Jones found Hunter Henry for the first down. Inching closer to the end zone Jones found Mike Gesicki for the game-winning touchdown giving Patriots fans the chance to celebrate a “Victory Monday” which they have not done since September.

“It’s just a crumb, keep picking up those crumbs, and eventually you’ll have a whole loaf of bread,” Jones said at the podium about the win. 

After weeks of poor play and a lack of confidence on the field, Jones had one of the best games of his career. Jones threw for 272 yards, two touchdowns and most importantly he did not turn the ball over. While there were a few occasions where Jones looked lost and mishandled the football, Jones finished with the third-highest quarterback rating of his career with a rating of 126.7. This is Jones’ second career game-winning drive with the first one dating back to 2021 in Week 5 against the Houston Texans. 

Thanks to a reworked offensive line putting guard Mike Onwenu at right tackle, putting rookie Sidy Sow at right guard and Cole Strange returning to left guard from injury, Jones had time to make his throws, only being sacked once. It’s the best the Patriots offensive line has played this season.

“When I have time I can read the offense how we’re supposed to,” Jones said about his offensive line. “I really appreciate those guys,”

Additionally, this is the best the Patriots offense has looked this season. A big factor was allowing rookie receiver Demario Douglas more snaps. Douglas, coming back from a concussion, filled in perfectly in the slot and gave the Patriots a boost with his elusiveness and quickness. Douglas had four catches for 54 yards and had a big 19-yard catch that set up the Patriots for a touchdown. Another receiver who had a good day was Bourne. Despite a late fumble Bourne was Jones’ go-to receiver and had six catches for 63 yards and a touchdown.

“One of our most consistent offensive performances of the year… Billy [O’Brien] did a good job all week with the game plan.” head coach Bill Belichick said about his offense.

The Patriots defense and special teams had themselves a day as well. Bills quarterback Josh Allen faced constant pressure which forced Allen to throw an interception to Patriots safety Jabrill Peppers early in the first quarter. That helped set up the Patriots to score a touchdown giving them a 10-0 lead in the first quarter.

Allen settled into the game and had a good second half to give the Bills their short-lived lead. Allen threw for 265 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. The pair of rookies on special teams came up big for the Patriots. Rookie kicker Chad Ryland went 3-3 on field goals with his longest from 49 yards. Rookie punter Bryce Baringer had two good punts that pinned the Bills deep in their own territory, one which had the Bills start at their own 3-yard line.

Sunday’s win snaps the Patriots four-game losing streak to the Bills. It also marks Belichick’s 300th career win as a head coach in the NFL joining Don Shula and George Halas as the only coaches to win 300 games in the NFL. The Patriots improved to 2-5 and face another divisional foe next Sunday as they head to sunny Florida to face the Miami Dolphins.