Op-Ed: Patriots mock draft 2.0 draft week edition

The Patriots add a retooled offense and pick up defensive depth in this mock draft
Mason Kinnahan on X

With days left until Roger Goodell announces the Patriot’s draft pick to the world, the consensus on who they should pick varies. Some have advocated for quarterback Jayden Daniels out of LSU or quarterback JJ McCarthy from Michigan. 

Other schools of thought vary with several advocates aiming for a trade-back to build up depth on a roster that is filled with needs up and down the depth chart. 

This mock draft will be conducted without trades, but I still attempted to cover as many positions as possible.

Round 1, Pick No. 3: Drake Maye, QB, UNC

The Patriots have been linked to Daniels, Maye, and McCarthy throughout the process, and as the draft urges closer it seems more likely that Maye will be a Washington Commander. However, he would fit well in New England too. 

Maye spent three seasons at UNC after earning the starting job in 2022 following the departure of Sam Howell. Maye starred in his 2022 season posting 45 total touchdowns which earned him ACC Player of the Year honors. 

His play slowed down in the 2023 season but much of his struggles have been attributed to lackluster offensive line play and struggling play from his receivers. 

Arm talent is not a question with Maye who can throw the ball downfield with ease. He also boasts the ability to make off-platform throws. Maye also measures in with prototypical size standing at 6 ‘4”-223.

Getting outside the pocket and using his legs to gain yards is not a problem for Maye either. Footwork is an area where Maye struggles though as he can move erratically through the pocket and fail to set his feet. This can cause errant throws and hurt his accuracy, especially in the intermediate range. 

Maye will be ready to start on day one for the Patriots but could benefit by sitting for a year and letting Jacoby Brissett start for the season.

Round 2, Pick No. 34: Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

Franklin’s stock has varied among draft analysts, but I see him as a top-six receiver in his class. He possesses a natural ability to separate immediately after his release. 

At 6’1” his ability to catch jump balls while maintaining separation makes him a unique receiving prospect. Franklin also boasts true track speed. He ran a 4.41 at the combine, but his speed on tape looks even faster.

Gathering yards after the catch is also an area where Franklin excels. While he can outrun opponents he is also capable of juking or side-stepping incoming tacklers. 

After showing steady improvement in his first two seasons at Oregon, Franklin broke out last season for nearly 1,400 yards and 14 receiving touchdowns. 

Franklin came in at the combine weighing in at just 176 pounds which is below the NFL average, especially for a player of his height. Adding muscle in the NFL weight room will be crucial, but teams must avoid sacrificing his speed.

Round 3, Pick No. 68: Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame

Often overshadowed at Notre Dame by prospective first-round OT Joe Alt, Fisher has received less attention from draft analysts than he may deserve. 

Fisher is still raw as a prospect, but his athleticism on tape shows a prospect who can make a difference at the next level. He has the ability to move laterally and climb to the second level. He does not excel at run or pass blocking yet, but at just 21 years old he still has a lot of room to grow. 

Fisher also boasts 34-inch arms which will make him a strong tackle at the NFL level. The Notre Dame product could struggle early on, but as he grows into his game he could be a top left tackle in the league. 

He has started 27 games over three seasons with Notre Dame and even won the starting left tackle job as a freshman before suffering an injury.

Round 4, Pick No. 103: Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, Safety, Texas Tech

Taylor-Demerson has been a riser on draft boards since the end of the season after he garnered attention at the Shrine Bowl. He has experience all over the field with snaps played at boundary corner, slot corner, and free safety. 

His playing time has added up over five seasons with Texas Tech totaling 2,800 snaps making him one of the most experienced players in this year’s draft class. 

Slightly undersized at just 5 ’10”-197, Taylor-Demerson will not be playing as a box safety at the NFL level, but his 4.41 speed and 38-inch vertical add to his ball skills. 

He has posted 10 interceptions in his career and 33 pass breakups. Taylor-Demerson can cover tight ends in the slot or shifty receivers. Often he plays as a rover over the top to break up deep balls heading towards the sidelines.

Size and poor tackling ability are two areas where he can struggle, but if the Patriots can coach up his tackling skills then he could be a starter or a strong depth piece for the Patriots.

Round 5, Pick No. 137: Gabriel Murphy, EDGE, UCLA

Not to be confused with his twin brother Grayson Murphy, Gabriel is extremely athletic coming off a 2023 season where he posted 16 tackles for a loss and eight sacks. 

Murphy played all over the UCLA defensive line. He lined up on the outside of tackles or rushed from the inside as a defensive tackle. At other times Murphy would drop back into coverage in the flat and play as an outside linebacker. 

His burst is fantastic and often he is already attacking the offensive line before they can even react to the snap. Murphy possesses the ability to be flexible around the edge and bend to get past tackles. His short-area movement is strong too so he can follow quarterbacks moving sharply around the pocket. 

At under 250 pounds, Murphy is slightly undersized to be an every-down player at the NFL level. Overall, his size could make him a tweener in the eyes of the Patriots which could restrict his role, but he will be a solid situational pass rusher.

Round 6, Pick No. 180: Jalen Coker, WR, Holy Cross

If Coker is still on the board at pick 180 the Patriots should sprint to the podium. With some of the best hands in this draft, Coker has been rising rapidly up draft boards. 

When the ball was thrown anywhere in the direction of Coker he was able to jump up and grab the ball easily. His 42.5-inch vertical was tied for the highest at the combine.

He only ran a 4.57 40 at the combine, but his speed on tape looked strong as he could burst past defenders, especially off the line of scrimmage. Coker also has strong body control and can make catches close to the sidelines while still managing to keep both feet in bounds. 

Coker does not have the strongest route tree and can struggle to get open especially if he does not win directly off of the line, but his hands can mitigate this.

Round 6, Pick No. 193 (Via Jacksonville Jaguars): Jordan Magee, Linebacker, Temple

Magee has been another late riser up draft boards, but I am not sure he will be available at 193. He could end up being drafted as soon as the start of the fifth round in my opinion. 

At 228 pounds, Magee is slightly undersized for the linebacker role, but he is uber-athletic. He posted a 4.55 40-yard dash and a broad jump of over 10 inches. 

That athleticism translates to film as well since Magee moves freely from sideline to sideline on every snap of the game. He is also fairly versatile and can enter the game as a pass-rusher as well. 

Due to his size, tackling can be an issue at times for Magee as he fails to bring down bigger-bodied tight ends or running backs. However, he will enter the NFL as a strong rotational piece in the Patriots front seven.

Round 7, Pick No. 231 (Via Chicago Bears): Will Reichard, Kicker, Alabama

Chad Ryland struggled last season in New England as the Patriots kicker. He only put home 16/25 field goals and found himself hitting on just 7-14 on 40+ yards. 

Reichard has been one of the most reliable kickers in the college football landscape and sits atop the NCAA Career Points Leaderboard with 547. He also leads the Crimson Tide with 10 made field goals from 50+ yards out. 

This past season he nailed 22/25 field goal attempts including 12-15 from 40+ yards. At a minimum, he would provide Ryland with tough competition in camp, but I think he could win the starting job.

Overview

This would be an ideal draft for the Patriots. All three major positions of need are addressed on offense with players who can start during their first seasons if needed. 

On defense, the Patriots would acquire extra depth and players who have starting potential in their careers. Many of these players may not be available when the Patriots come on the board, but that same unpredictability is what makes the draft entertaining. 

Even with a retooled roster, the Patriots may not be ready for a playoff berth in 2024, but they will be in a much better situation over the next few seasons.