Op-Ed: Mac Jones benched again, in what may be his last game as a Patriot after they lose to the Colts

Patriots fail to score a touchdown in the low scoring contest.
Eric J. Adler

The Mac Jones Era in New England might be over as they lose another once-score game to the Indianapolis Colts 10-6 as the offense can’t even get into the end zone. The Patriots anemic offensive effort was highlighted by 167 rushing yards.

The Patriots had many chances to score as they entered the red zone, but they always came up short settling for a field goal. The last two drives the Patriots demonstrated the poor decision-making that has plagued the team. With under nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter the Patriots had a good drive going from their own 25-yard line. As they inched closer and closer Jones threw a horrendous interception to Colts safety Julian Blackmon. Jones throwing off his back foot had the receiver he wanted, but the execution of the throw was poor. Jones was seen visibly frustrated going to the sidelines and was benched for the final drive of the game.

“It was a terrible throw,” Jones said about the interception. “It worked in practice, just not a good throw. I knew where to go, I just didn’t do it right.”

Backup quarterback Bailey Zappe came into the game to lead the Patriots on a game-winning drive, but he did not do any better than Jones. After converting on fourth down, Zappe faked a spike and threw an interception right to Colts safety Rodney Thomas II, ending the game. 

The one positive for the Patriots offense was the running game as they had 167 yards, the most they had this season. This dull game in Germany was one to forget as not much action happened in this low-scoring contest. However, the biggest takeaway from this game is that the Patriots have ruined Jones.

Jones was sacked five times by the Colts and was sped up by the Colts’ pressure. While Jones has not done himself any favors the way he’s been playing this year, the offensive line put in front of him has him seeing ghosts. Jones looks scared and frantic with any defensive player approaching him. Despite not having much pressure, Jones believes it’s coming which causes him to make so many mistakes like the interception that benched him.

In the 41 games Jones has played he has suffered a total of 86 sacks. For comparison of how bad his offensive line has been this year, Jones was sacked 31 times in his rookie season in just 10 games. Mentally, Jones is not fit at the moment to play quarterback, and after back-to-back weeks with game-ending interceptions, his confidence is at its lowest.

“There were a lot of open guys out there that I could have hit,” Jones said. “There are a lot of things I can do better. I’m always going to work. I know that.”

Simply, the Patriots have done him wrong. His go-to receivers have either left the team or are injured. He has no X-factor out there that can impact the game. Lastly, Jones is constantly trying to make something out of nothing because he’s playing to keep his job. Everything may not be perfect for a quarterback in the NFL, but when you don’t have support from your team and coaches how can you succeed in playing at the highest level? Jones may not be the quarterback of the future for the Patriots, but has he been given a real shot at doing so?

In his rookie year under offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Jones threw for 3801 yards, 22 touchdowns and had 13 interceptions. He earned the honor of being selected to the Pro Bowl and finished second for offensive rookie of the year. After a good rookie year and getting the Patriots back into the playoffs, the Patriots rewarded Jones with no additions to the offense. McDaniels left to go coach the Las Vegas Raiders, and they replaced him with two former Patriots coaches Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, two guys who have never coached offense. Jones’ numbers dipped last year only throwing 2997 yards, 14 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. This year under offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien Jones had thrown for 2031 yards, 10 touchdowns and a league-leading 10 interceptions.

How has Jones been given the chance to succeed under three offensive coordinators who have three different offensive schemes? While other quarterbacks have coped with different coaches and coordinators, they were given offensive weapons to help aid them. In Jones’ three years in New England not one receiver has ever reached 1000 receiving yards in a season, nor have they had 10 touchdowns in a season. 

It comes down to the Patriots being cheap never giving Jones a true number one wide receiver that can change the game, nor have they given Jones a running back that is effective when catching the ball, such as when running back James White was around. Even the receivers drafted to help Jones have not panned out well. Rookie Demario Douglas has finally been given a chance to showcase his talent after being in the doghouse for fumbling the ball in Week 2. Second-year receiver Tyquan Thorton is still barely healthy and even when he is, he is ineffective at running his routes and utilizing his speed. Rookie Kayshon Boutte can barely get selected to suit up to play, usually being inactive come game day. Nevertheless, it’s Jones’ fault for not being able to elevate this offense as that is the job of a quarterback.

Many Patriots fans can blame him for their worst season since 2000, but Jones is not the only problem for the Patriots. He’s been used as their scapegoat, but the problems in Foxborough lie deeper than at quarterback. In reality, Jones has been left alone on an island to suffer, sinking lower and lower as he asks for his misery to end. The Patriots fall to 2-8 as they get a break entering their bye week. But, there will be many questions on the future and state of the Patriots going forward with the remaining games left in the season. Questions that owner Robert Kraft might have to address sooner rather than later. 

“I’ve played well in my career before, but just not now,” Jones said. “It’s peaks and valleys, but I’m in a valley right now, and I need to bounce back.”