Northampton hosts tenth annual Zombie Pub Crawl

The streets of Northampton resembled the set of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” on Saturday, Oct. 25. The quirky Western Mass. city hosted the tenth annual Zombie Pub Crawl in anticipation of Halloween this weekend.

Zombies roamed the streets, bouncing between bars like ping pong balls. Fake blood, heavily blackened eyes and tattered clothing were the finishing touches on nearly every costume. People took a zombie-style spin on existing favorites like brides, superheroes, and fictional characters.

Chase, a resident of Holyoke, was zombie Superman. This was his second year participating in the pub crawl.

“It’s fun to participate, and you meet a lot of cool people,” he said.

The first six venues featured in this year’s crawl included Sam’s Pizzeria and Cafe, The Toasted Owl, One Bar & Grill, Ye Ol’ Watering Hole, Hugo’s Cafe and Diva’s Night Club. Participants changed bars every hour, between 6 p.m. and midnight. The night ended at 2 a.m., with zombie karaoke at World War II Club. For Katie of West Springfield, karaoke was the best part of the pub crawl.

Katie was joined by Brittany, fellow zombie Hooter’s waitress, also from West Springfield. Red blood ran out of the open gashes on their necks and trickled down the owls’ faces on their infamous, snug white tank-tops and onto their orange shorts. People watching at the event is a pastime for the pair, who have participated in the crawl for four years.

“This is my first time, however, wearing sneakers,” joked Katie.

Katie and Brittany were joined by fellow Mass. natives, in groups or with newly acquainted zombie friends.

Joe of Greenfield, in an orange jail jumpsuit, was easily picked out of the crowd of zombie costumes. His face — or lack thereof — looked like a cherry pie without the dough. This was Joe’s fifth year as a pub crawl zombie and, for him, the night is an opportunity to include everyone in the community, even those who generally aren’t in a ‘typical’ social setting.

Russ, from Southampton, said he “[blames the phenomenon] on ‘The Walking Dead.'” He participated in the pub crawl for the first time this year as part of a ‘PJ party zombie’ trio, joined by two friends, Allie of Ludlow and Ashlee of Southampton.

Email Erica Garnett can be reached at [email protected], or follow her on Twitter @GarnettErica.

• Northampton hosts tenth annual Zombie Pub Crawl

Around the Valley

Top 5: Popular Amherst eateries

Around the Valley

The state of legalization: Effects of marijuana dispensaries on state welfare

Around the Valley

Spring checklist: Pioneer Valley edition

Around the Valley

Farewell to Hadley: Reflections and remembrances on a bizarre home of my own

• Around the Valley

Promising potential of the Pioneer Valley in the viticulture world: What makes Western Mass. grapes special

Around the Valley

Alone in the crowd: A family of color living in a world of white

Around the Valley

Amherst Town Meeting votes to limit recreational marijuana stores

Around the Valley

Triggered: At a local gun range, the search for a silver bullet in the gun control debate

Around the Valley

Halloween hype doesn’t impact local cemeteries; but homeless do

Around the Valley

Turning up the demand for vinyl