Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Here's what you need to know before 2 Chainz, Lil Dicky and Jon Bellion take the stage Sunday

The Mullins Center will host 2 Chainz, Lil Dicky and Jon Bellion for the 2017 Spring Concert on Sunday.

Wondering what happened to the original lineup?

Duo Matt and Kim were initially booked to play the concert, but Kim suffered a leg injury during a show March 25, the act pulled out and Jon Bellion became the substitute. You can watch Matt explain what happened here. Skip to about 5:45 for the explanation.

Assuming none of these artists break a leg before Sunday, here’s your guide to Spring Concert 2017. From songs to check out before the big show to fun facts about the artists, we’ve got you covered. 

2 Chainz
The Atlanta MC will headline this year’s concert. The seasoned rapper is fresh off of the hottest year and a half of music he’s ever had, according to Noisey, VICE’s music vertical. 

He dropped two mixtapes in 2016 — “Daniel Son; Necklace Don” and “Hibachi for Lunch” — both Asian-rooted titles. He released a collaboration album last year with rapper and longtime friend Lil Wayne titled “ColleGrove.”

The artist, formerly known as “Tity Boi,” also premiered some smash singles which included some prominent features. “Good Drank” (featuring Quavo and Gucci Mane), “It’s a Vibe” (featuring Ty Dolla Sign, Trey Songz and Jhené Aiko) and “Big Amount” (featuring Drake) were some of the most popular. Contrary to popular belief, “Big Amount” was the earliest song in 2016 to incorporate the use of the flute in a rap beat. This may have helped influence another Atlanta rapper, Future, to put the same instrument to work in his viral sensation “Mask Off.”

2 Chainz also had a notable feature on Drake’s October Firm playlist “More Life.” The track, titled “Sacrifices,” features 2 Chainz and Young Thug and is one of the most popular songs on the playlist. It shows how versatile 2 Chainz is and how well he has constructed his craft.

Expect the rapper to perform more nostalgic songs you may remember from his 2012 project, “Based on a T.R.U. Story.”

His upcoming playlist titled, “Pretty Girls Like Trap Music,” is set to debut in 2017, but the official release date has been pushed back multiple times.

Songs to check out: “Felt Like Cappin,” “Watch Out,” “MFN Right,” “El Chapo Jr,” “Feds Watching” (featuring Pharrell Williams) and “No Lie” (featuring Drake).

Lil Dicky
A comic rapper from a ritzy neighborhood north of Philadelphia, Lil Dicky has garnered a loyal fan audience with lighthearted, humorous verses over polished hip-hop beats. To get a taste of his style, check out the new video for his song “Pillow Talking.”

According to HotNewHipHop, that video is the 49th most expensive music video of all time. It cost $700,000 and features John C. Reilly as God alongside computer-generated images of dinosaurs.  

Aside from features, his discography is limited mostly to his debut album, “Professional Rapper.” The album includes features from big names such as T-Pain, Snoop Dogg and Fetty Wap.

A lesser-known fun fact: Lil Dicky is one of Lavar Ball’s basketball prodigy sons, according to this ESPN short

Songs to check out are “Lemme Freak,” “Classic Male Pregame,” “Save Dat Money
(featuring Fetty Wap and Rich Homie Quan), “Just a Lil’ Thick (She Juicy)
(Trinidad James featuring Mystikal & Lil Dicky) and “Molly” (featuring Brendon Urie).

Jon Bellion
Jon Bellion was a last-minute addition to the lineup. You may not recognize his name, but you have heard his work. The Long Island-native rapper, singer, songwriter and producer wrote the Eminem and Rihanna smash hit “The Monster,” which won the Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. He also co-wrote and produced the song “Trumpets” by Jason Derulo.

Bellion released his most recent album, “The Human Condition,” in June 2016. It debuted at number five on the Billboard 200.

Bellion is signed with Visionary Music Group and Capitol Records. Visionary Music Group previously inked rapper Logic’s first record deal before he blew up and signed with Def Jam.

Songs to check out are “All Time Low”, “80’s Films,” “Woke the F*ck Up” and “Guillotine” (featuring Travis Mendes).

Email Michael at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @MD_antonellis.
Email Liam at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @LiamOConnnor.

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Entertainment

“Orange is the New Black”: Fact or fiction?

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

“Runaways: The Musical” leaves an impression at UMass

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Current Affairs

ABC’s ‘Black-ish’ is more than just your average sitcom

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Entertainment

Sketch 22: The art of committing to the bit

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Entertainment

Album review: Lil Pump’s self-titled debut gets old quick

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Greeno Sub Shop’s Halloween series showcases student talent

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Free Keys project brings painted pianos to campus

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Entertainment

Album review: I the Mighty’s ‘Where the Mind Wants to Go / Where You Let It Go’

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Hip-hop artists NliteN, Warren the Alchemist perform at ‘ZooMass Takeover’ show

• Your guide to Spring Concert 2017

Entertainment

‘Blade Runner 2049’ a stunning film that demands attention

Your guide to Spring Concert 2017