Five must-have apps for UMass students

Enrolled at UMass? Have a smartphone? Download these apps.

Everyone with a smartphone has their favorite useless apps. Why not download a few that’ll save you some time or help you stay on top of assignments? These five apps are essential for any student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst who owns a smartphone and needs a little more organization in their life.

1. UMass Dining

Options for food at UMass are endless, and sometimes it’s hard to make up your mind. That’s where the UMass Dining app comes in. This app lists the daily schedules for every dining hall, cafe, coffee shop and other food source on campus. It also shows a brief description of each eatery, what payments are accepted at each location, and lets users see how busy each location is in real time. You can also stay up to date on special UMass Dining events and late night dining menus through the app. Download it now, so the next time you have 10 minutes to eat between classes, you’ll know which spot works best for you.

2. PVTA

Whether you’re catching a ride to class or need a lift home late at night, it’s a no-brainer for UMass students to use the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority app. The app lists daily schedules for every PVTA bus route and updates them in real time. In other words, you’ll never have to stand waiting in the rain for a bus that’s 20 minutes late. You can also use the ‘Search’ feature to find the bus closest to you that’s heading to your destination. Plus, you can bookmark your most used stops or bus routes and pin them right to your home screen. PVTA schedules are posted online and at bus stops, but can be difficult to follow. With this app, you won’t miss a beat — or a ride.

3. My Study Life

Having trouble staying organized? Have something against paper planners? This is the app for you. My Study Life is a free organizational app for students that is available on iPhone, Android and also on the web. Students can organize their class schedule and have it repeat week to week, and can enter specific events like exams with details such as date, time, duration, location and even the room number. With a great number of customization features, students can enter assignments for each of their classes, and the app’s easy-to-use design allows students to stay on top of weekly tasks with no hassle. No more digging through your backpack for your schedule or waiting for Moodle to unfreeze — the app even sends scheduled reminders straight to your home screen!

4. IMLeagues

If you’re one of the thousands of UMass students who have come to despise the nightmarish interface that is IMLeagues.com, you NEED to download the website’s app. Any intramural athlete can log in through the app the same way they’d use the website. From there, users can view statistics, team and league information, and even set reminders for the day of a game. The app is a must-have for anyone chasing that elusive Intramural Champion t-shirt, and it can even be used to sign up for all kinds of group fitness classes.

5. Uber/Lyft

Using an app to request a ride is a no-brainer for any college student, but especially at UMass. There’s so much culture to experience in the Pioneer Valley, but you need four wheels (and sometimes a designated driver) to get around. The bus app is great, but the buses themselves can be unpredictable, and weekend schedules are sporadic. If for some reason, you’re stranded in Northampton without a ride at 3 a.m., Either Uber or Lyft will surely come to your rescue. Just don’t make a mess in the car, or else you face the dreaded cleaning fee (at the driver’s discretion).

Email Henry at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @HBrechter.