Entertainment winners, losers of the week

Highlights from the week of Dec. 4 - Dec.10.

Back to Article
Back to Article

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

(Jordan Allen /Amherst Wire)

With so much happening on social media, it’s hard to keep up. Here are the highs and lows of the week, selected by the Amherst Wire Entertainment staff.

Jonathan Kermah

Winner: XXXTENTACION fans

After an album leak earlier in the week, XXXTENTACION’s posthumous album “Skins” was officially released on Friday. Expect the album to be at the top of charts next week.

Loser: Offset

Migos member Offset seems to be down in the dumps since his split with Cardi B. The couple’s recent separation is speculated to have stemmed from Offset’s infidelity.

How’s Cardi B doing? She seems to be living her best life.

Hopefully, both rappers channel their emotions into great new music. I would love to hear the trap editions of “Lemonade” and “4:44.”

Trevor Wilson

Winner: Marvel Fans

NEW. AVENGERS. TRAILER. That is all. This week, Marvel Studios released the trailer for its highly anticipated film, “Avengers: Endgame.” The four-part saga will hopefully feature an epic conclusion once the movie hits theaters April 29, 2019.

Man, I got goosebumps watching this thing. I mean, the hype is real. However, I must say that it is a little bittersweet. Marvel movies have been a huge part of my life, pop culture and so much more. For the series to end now is…well, it sucks. But in the end, we will get what will hopefully be the best Marvel movie of all time. Don’t believe me? Watch the trailer for yourself.

Loser: 6ix9ine

Good lord, this guy is having one heck of a spiraling career. In the aftermath of 6ix9ine’s arrest, and after he proclaimed his innocence, new evidence suggests that the Brooklyn rapper he may have participated in shootings and armed robberies. Federal prosecutors claim that they have photo and video evidence that places 6ix9ine at the sight of multiple felony incidents.  6ix9ine has had multiple run-ins with the law, most notably this event and his child sex case that surfaced last year. He’s a bad dude, a bad rapper and just bad in general. Personally, I won’t miss him from pop culture at all.

Hayley Solomon

Winner: Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande was named this week as Billboard’s 2018 Woman of the Year. She gave a tearful acceptance this week and then reflected by saying, “Ew, I’m annoying,” which is completely relatable to all of us. The past year and a half has been an emotional roller coaster for her. I can’t think of anyone more worthy of the award this year.

Loser: Kevin Hart

After years of waiting and hoping, Kevin Hart was named the host of the 2019 Academy Awards. Both the Academy and the comedian announced the exciting news Wednesday. But just 48 hours later, the public began criticizing Hart’s deleted homophobic tweets, sending social media into a frenzy. Later, Hart posted an Instagram video reacting to the criticism. “Guys, I’m nearly 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don’t know what to tell you,” he said. “If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify the past, do you. I’m the wrong guy, man.”

View this post on Instagram

Stop looking for reasons to be negative…Stop searching for reasons to be angry….I swear I wish you guys could see/feel/understand the mental place that I am in. I am truly happy people….there is nothing that you can do to change that…NOTHING. I work hard on a daily basis to spread positivity to all….with that being said. If u want to search my history or past and anger yourselves with what u find that is fine with me. I’m almost 40 years old and I’m in love with the man that I am becoming. You LIVE and YOU LEARN & YOU GROW & YOU MATURE. I live to Love….Please take your negative energy and put it into something constructive. Please….What’s understood should never have to be said. I LOVE EVERYBODY…..ONCE AGAIN EVERYBODY. If you choose to not believe me then that’s on you….Have a beautiful day

A post shared by Kevin Hart (@kevinhart4real) on

The Academy gave him two choices: to apologize, or step down as host.

That is when Hart decided to step down, which angered the public even more. He tweeted the apology that everyone wanted, saying “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”

Kacey Conolly

Winner: Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper

The 2019 Grammy nomination list has just been posted, and Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper might steal the show with their Record of the Year nomination for “Shallows.” The iconic remake of the movie, “A Star Is Born,” had everyone buzzing, so it’s no surprise their best song is receiving the same attention.

Loser: Taylor Swift

Once a Grammy legend, Taylor Swift only has one nomination this year for Best Pop Vocal album. Although a Grammy nomination in any category is remarkable, many feel like Swift was snubbed from an Album of the Year nomination for “Reputation”. It’s a long way off from the four Grammys she won back in 2010.

Email Jonathan at [email protected], or follow him on Twitter @JKermah98.

Email Hayley at [email protected], or follow her on Twitter @hayley_solomon. 

Email Trevor at [email protected], or follow him on Twitter @TrevorWilsonOG. 

Email Kacey at [email protected]

• Entertainment winners, losers of the week

Entertainment

Grab your travel mug, “Cuphead” is on the Switch

Entertainment

UMass guitarist Danny Monger looks to make rock music that everyone can relate to

Entertainment

Schoolboy Q punches below his weight on “CrasH Talk”

Entertainment

Ask UMass – Finals week

Entertainment

Avengers: Postgame

Entertainment

Beychella is back: Three main takeaways from Beyonce’s “Homecoming” documentary

Entertainment

Is Lizzo the next Lauryn Hill? Her latest album “Cuz I Love You” speaks volumes.

Entertainment

New Taylor Swift single debuts disappointment

Entertainment

Olivia Wilde’s “Booksmart” is funny, but is it Gen Z’s “generational anthem?”

Entertainment

808s and Ankle Breaks: Episode 44