A celebration of all things pink: Single students talk about love

ChelseaStaub

UMass students decorate Valentine’s Day cookies at the W.E.B. Du Bois Library during a food writing journalism class.

Valentine’s Day can be special for those of us who are not in relationships, too.

A bag of red streamers lay in a bag on Claire Sullivan’s kitchen table ready to be hung. She has themed gummy worms and pink wine in her fridge. She’s even dying her black hair pink. Only one thing is missing for Sullivan’s Valentine’s Day celebration: a man. Sullivan, a junior natural resource conservation and studio art double major, is single. But that’s not stopping her from celebrating.

Valentine’s Day can feel isolating for those who are not involved in a serious relationship. But the holiday doesn’t have to be lonely or isolating for those who are single. Students can turn to friends, family and other important people in their lives to celebrate love, friendship and all things pink.

Sullivan understands the true nature of February 14. She is throwing a Galentine’s Day dinner for her single friends.

“Valentines Day is about love, but that doesn’t have to be romantic love,” she said. “It can also be about platonic love, love between your friends, your parents and other people you appreciate”.

Sullivan doesn’t mind being single. In fact, she’s happy about it. In past years, Sullivan has spent hours making gifts for partners who did not appreciate them. “When I make gifts for my friends, they keep them forever,” she said. “I think it’s more meaningful because no one expects a valentine from their friend, but they always expect one from their boyfriend.”

Also not in a relationship, Colin Babineau, a junior studying math and economics, says he typically doesn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day as he’s always been single in February. “It’s just another day for me,” he said.

This year, however, he will be joining Sullivan for his first Galentine’s Day Celebration. He’s excited about the potluck she has planned and to spend time appreciating his friends and drinking wine to celebrate the patron saint of love.

Another student, Angelina Dvorak, is celebrating without a significant other too. She said she’s planning on making cards for friends and family who live out of state.

Dvorak, a junior majoring in psychology, is not worried about feeling lonely on Valentine’s Day. She says being single makes it easy because she doesn’t have to worry about making dinner plans or buying gifts for a partner.

She’s also taking the holiday as an opportunity to find love. She and a roommate are planning blind dates for each other on Valentine’s Day weekend.

While many are posting their significant others on social media, buying flowers, and going out to fancy dinners, those of us who are not seeing anyone can reach out to the people we care about and celebrate the love found in friendships and family.

Celebrating the traditional way can be fun, but according to Dvorak,  “I can do all that with my roommates, it doesn’t need to be with a partner.”