UMass student struck and killed on Mass. Ave

Local police are still investigating the incident, University confirms in email to student body

Photo+courtesy+of+John+Phelan+and+Wikicommons+

Photo courtesy of John Phelan and Wikicommons

Editor’s note: this story is ongoing and will be updated if or when more information becomes available.

Elena Lucore, a freshman business major, passed away Tuesday Feb. 22, when a car struck her on Massachusetts Avenue. 

According to the UMass police department, the visibility of the roads Tuesday evening were poor due to the rainy and drizzly weather conditions. 

In an email sent out to the UMass community, Dean of Students Evelyn L. Ashley said, “During this difficult time, I urge you to reach out for assistance, or to direct others as appropriate. The news of this loss may be challenging for many in our community; our resources are available for that support.”

Many students were first made aware of the accident Tuesday evening via the social media apps, Yik Yak and Reddit, where concerned students commented on the presence of police cruisers on the street.

Reddit user Outrageous_craft_236 posted to the UMass reddit community if anyone knew about what was happening on Mass Ave.

The UMPD are still reviewing the incident at this time. 

The UMass community has sent out resources to give assistance for those who are struggling and grieving at this time:

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health (CCPH)

Call (413) 545-2337 to schedule a first appointment, or if it’s an emergency, ask for the on-call clinician.

Dean of Students Office

Submit a contact form or Student Support Request/Referral. You may also leave a message at (413) 545-2684.

Employee Counseling and Consultation Office (ECCO)

ECCO offers free and confidential counseling for UMass employees. Call (413) 545-0350 to schedule an appointment.