Amherst Wire Staff Picks: Valentine’s Day Playlist

What better way to ring in the season of love then to listen to some good music, the Amherst Wire staff has selected some of their top love songs to help you get into the mood!

It’s the season of love, that time of year where you hear a love song and either embrace it with open arms or press skip upon hearing the first note. For this Amherst Wire Staff Pick, staff members picked five of their favorite love-esq songs to put you in the mood. Whether you’re celebrating with a significant other, friends, or hosting an ultimate Galentines day party, these songs will remind you what love is all about. 

Taylor Lee, Managing Editor 

“Love is only a Feeling” by Joey Bada$$

“Sad Valentine” by No Vacation

“Burn Slowly/I Love You” by the Brazen Youth

“Valentine” by Orion Sun

“Love is a Losing Game” by Amy Winehouse

My favorite one currently is Sad Valentine by No Vacation. The intro is really catchy plus I got to see them live recently so it holds a special place in my heart.

Isabel Guilmette,  Editor in Chief

“Kathy’s Song” by Simon and Garfunkel

“Head over Heels” by Tears for Fears

“True Blue” by Boygenius

“Kingston” by Faye Webster

“I’d Have you Anytime” by George Harrison

Kathy’s Song is one of my dad’s favorite songs from Simon and Garfunkel, and I didn’t listen to it for a really long time until I was packing up for winter break. And then, suddenly, the song genuinely punched me in the gut. A lot of Paul Simon lyrics, for me, are the type of thing that make you go “are you KIDDING me” in the best way possible, and this one is probably the top of the top.

Gabby Burdick, News Editor

“I’ve Been in Love” by Jungle

“About You” by The 1975

“Sweet” by Cigarettes After Sex 

“Kiss Me” by Sixpence None the Richer

“Still Beating” by Mac Demarco 

“I’ve Been in Love” by Jungle would be my pick. Such a great song to dance to, perfectly encapsulates the feeling of being in love…which I know very well!! 

John Ruggiero, Sports Editor

“Heaven” by Bryan Adams 

“You’re The Inspiration” by Chicago

“One” by U2

“I’ll Be There For You” by Bon Jovi

“You Shouldn’t Kiss Me Like This” by Toby Keith

“Heaven” by Bryan Adams would probably be my favorite. I’ve always loved this song. It’s probably my favorite song just in general. My uncle was a big Bryan Adams fan and I always have been myself. This is one of his most personal songs and it means a lot to me.

Brooke Wallenstein, Lifestyle Editor 

“Until I Found You” by Stephen Sanchez

“My Love Mine All Mine” by Mitski

“I Wanna Be Yours” by Arctic Monkeys

“Falling Behind” by Laufey 

“Here With Me” by  d4vd. 

The song Falling Behind by Laufey is one of my favorites as it highlights how some could feel behind and how one feels seeing others being in a relationship. It’s something everyone can relate to and deviates from the conventional love songs in its messaging. 

Patrick Shea, Creative Writing Editor 

“World is Big” by Kitchen 

“Dopamine” by DIIV 

“wasted affairs” by Mind’s Eye 

“Stampede” by Hotline TNT

“The Sun Comes Through” by Kelley Stoltz 

“World is Big” by Kitchen reminds me to cherish the time I spend with those who I love more. To slow down my head and really be mindful of the little moments I’m overwhelmingly lucky to experience with beautiful people. It feels like I’m being brought back to earth and being urged to truly connect with the present before it’s the past.

Cassandra Salot, TV and Music Editor 

“Real Love Baby” by Father John Misty 

“Baby I’m Yours” by Arctic Monkeys 

“Wouldn’t it be Nice” by The Beach Boys 

“Sun to Me” by Zach Bryan 

“Mia and Sebastians Theme” by Justin Hurwitz

This was such a hard thing to do, picking only 5 songs in my opinion for this category is not easy! Since the spectrum of love songs is so wide, I tried to form a list of songs that encapsulates the feeling of being in love or feeling love in multiple different ways. “Wouldn’t it be Nice” by The Beach Boys would have to be my personal favorite, it is a fun song and will guarantee put a smile on my face whenever its played.