UMass football takes down Merrimack for third win of the season

What does the future hold for the Minutemen with two games left on the season?
Kalina Kornacki

The Minutemen showed a strong performance against the Merrimack Warriors picking up a 31-21 victory. The victory was due to a strong offensive by running back Greg Desrosiers Jr. and a strong defensive performance. Despite the close score, Merrimack did score 14 points within the final eight minutes of the game, making the score a little tighter than it should have been. 

The Minutemen struggled in a few facets during the game, allowing a 95-yard kickoff return touchdown from Merrimack receiver Donovan Wadley. The game was already out of reach by that point for Merrimack, but simple mistakes like that can cost the Minutemen. 

Undoubtedly, the star of the game was Desrosiers Jr. He accounted for 162 yards on the ground on just 10 carries, adding touchdowns. Two of those three were on pivotal runs in the fourth quarter, that put the game on ice.

If Desrosiers Jr. continues to run with fire like he did last weekend the two-headed rushing tandem between him and fellow running back Kay’ron Lynch-Adams will be difficult to stop. 

The passing game struggled once again, although they were able to get a touchdown on an 11-yard strike to receiver George Johnson III. Quarterback Taisun Phommachanh has struggled since the Toledo game. In three games since then he is just 32/57 for 250 yards and one touchdown. If the UMass passing attack wants to fire on all cylinders it needs Phommachanh to improve. 

Once again UMass struggled to keep defenders out of the backfield. Merrimack was able to get seven tackles for a loss. Brown and his coaching staff will need to hit the transfer portal hard this winter in search of offensive line talent. ‘

On the defensive side of the ball, UMass welcomed back cornerback Jordan Mahoney who has not been cleared to compete since an injury suffered on September 30 against Arkansas State. Mahoney made his presence known recording a pass breakup and two tackles. Linebacker Gerell Johnson continues to have a solid under-the-radar season. Johnson picked up seven tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss and a sack last weekend.

The State of the Program

With a 3-7 record and two games to go, UMass has a shot at winning five games for the first time since moving to FBS competition. The two remaining games are a road trip to take on an undefeated Liberty Flames squad next weekend, then an annual rivalry game against UConn on November 25. In all likelihood, UMass will lose to Liberty, but they certainly have a shot at their fourth win against UConn. The Minutemen have not won four games since 2018.

This year’s season was influenced last year by a solid haul of recruits and a plethora of transfer portal talent. UMass was able to grab nine freshmen in the 2023 class and 22 transfers. Many of these transfers have immediately impacted the team, including cornerback Isaiah Rutherford, safety Dashaun Jerkins, linebacker Jerry Roberts, wide receiver Anthony Simpson and of course Phommachanh. 

While the transfer portal has not yet opened for next season, UMass has already brought in ten recruits and is waiting to hear back from more. Currently, the Minutemen have the 109th best recruiting class according to 247 Sports. 

However, the team is not just composed of transfers, UMass has also grown much of their talent in Amherst. Starting center Josh Atwood, defensive tackle Billy Wooden, linebacker Nahji Logan, and Mahoney are all examples of homegrown talent that have made a career in Amherst for years.

UMass has shown this season that they can build talent and win football games. This squad was also two points away from downing Eastern Michigan on the road and just an overtime possession away from defeating New Mexico. If the coaching staff can bring in another solid year of transfers to pair with the foundation that has been established, UMass could be a problem. 

Currently, the college football landscape is going through a conference realignment which may not be relevant to fans who exclusively follow UMass. The Minutemen are one of four teams currently not a part of a conference. With Army joining the American Athletic Conference in 2024, UMass will join UConn and Notre Dame as the only remaining independents. 

Rumors have swirled about UMass entering the Conference USA(C-USA), or the Mid-American Conference (MAC). UMass was a part of the MAC until 2014 when they parted ways due to the fact UMass only wanted football in the MAC and refused to leave the A-10 for other sports. However, with the C-USA adding five schools last year they seem an unlikely match. 

If the MAC and UMass are interested in a reunion, UMass would likely need to leave the A-10 conference for all sports and abandon a few storied rivalries. However, it would mean a new era of competition against teams like Toledo, Eastern Michigan and Miami of Ohio all of whom UMass football played this year. 

There is a passionate fanbase for a winning UMass football team and the correct steps are being taken by the coaching staff. However, with no conference realignment in sight, the future does not look as bright as it could. If the Minutemen can pick up a fourth win this season and build on it they could prove they belong in the FBS.