UMass Sustainability Month wraps up with week of events

(Morgan Hughes/Amherst Wire)

AMHERST — October is Sustainability Month at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and for the next week, there will be plenty of events around campus celebrating just that.

The UMass Amherst campus holds many opportunities for students and faculty interested in sustainability. The belief behind Sustainable UMass is that the knowledge of sustainability is important in producing leaders that will work to create “a just, healthy, and sustainable world.”

UMass has made strides throughout the years to become more environmentally educated. In 2007, former UMass President Jack M. Wilson signed the campus to the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). The ACUPCC asks colleges and universities to report greenhouse gas emissions and enact plans to cut them. To meet the requirements of the ACUPCC, the UMass Amherst Chancellor at the time, Thomas Cole, formed the Environmental Performance Advisory Committee.

From there, UMass continued to develop. Recently, UMass instituted the School of Earth and Sustainability and became the first major public university to divest from direct fossil fuel holdings.

“The intent of campus sustainability month is to bring awareness to year-round projects the average UMass student may not be informed about, as well as celebrate the occasion with special events specific to October. As young adults, it is important for students to learn about sustainability and how we can work together to prevent one of the world’s largest issues we face today,” said Sara Tajik, the marketing and media fellow for Sustainable UMass.

The events are hosted by a variety of sustainability groups and registered student organizations (RSOs).

Here’s your guide to the final week of Sustainability Month at UMass Amherst.

Talking Truth Series: Finding Your Voice Around the Climate Crisis

When: Every Monday, 3-3:45 p.m.

Where: W.E.B Du Bois Library, rooms 1638 and 2601

Organized by: UMass Amherst students, faculty and staff

What: Interactive climate change events on Monday afternoons.

Sustainable Club Fair

When: Oct. 26, 10 a.m.- 3 p.m.

Where: Campus Center Concourse

Organized by: RSOs attending include UMass Permaculture, UMass Eco-Rep, Sustainable UMass, Climateers, UMass Society of American Foresters, Masspirg 100% Clean Energy Campaign, BioStead, UMass Food Recovery Network, CEPA and Net Impact.

What: Sustainability RSOs from the UMass Amherst community will set up tables and provide information to interested students.

Campus Sustainability Forum

When: Oct. 26, 7:30- 9:30 p.m.

Where: Integrative Learning Center Room S131

Organized by: Sara Tajik, marketing and media fellow for Sustainable UMass

What: UMass sustainable faculty members will be present sustainable projects throughout campus. The forum leaders will be from the School of Earth and Sustainability, UMass Dining and Campus Planning.

“Before the Flood” Movie Viewing

When: Oct. 27, 7 p.m.

Where: Integrated Sciences Building Room 135

Organized by: Sustainable UMass, Eco-Rep, the Climateers and Talking Truth

What: An advanced screening of a new film about climate change starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

EPA Game Day Challenge

When: Oct. 29, 12:30 p.m.

Where: McGuirk Alumni Stadium

Organized by: Sustainable UMass

What: The Environmental Protection Challenge (EPA) holds a national competition that takes place on college campuses. Volunteers spearhead recycling and compost programs to reduce waste at football games and tailgates.

Email Olivia at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @O_laramie.