Be There or Be Square: Cowls family makes huge strides with North Square project

Cinda and her brother Evan Jones closed the family lumber mill in 2011 to begin The Mill District.

Back to Article
Back to Article

(clockwise from top) Cinda Jones, 9th Generation Cowls Family land owner, John Reardon, Vice President of Marketing for Beacon Communities, and Arthur Haskins, property manager of North Square for Beacon Communities, in front of the North Square construction and Atkins Farm.
(Shae Feather)

(clockwise from top) Cinda Jones, 9th Generation Cowls Family land owner, John Reardon, Vice President of Marketing for Beacon Communities, and Arthur Haskins, property manager of North Square for Beacon Communities, in front of the North Square construction and Atkins Farm. (Shae Feather)

1555183860:58

58

AMHERST – The Mill District in North Amherst is currently undergoing one of it’s largest makeovers. However, with the construction of North Square, opening this summer with shops and restaurants, the general public needs stores and affordable housing options.

Cinda Jones, the ninth-generation Cowls Family landowner, came up with the concept with her brother Evan.

“Each generation of our family has transformed the land into what we thought was most beneficial to the community at the time,” said Jones.

The construction of two large buildings is currently being completed – with the first floor of each being used by the Cowls Family as rented commercial space. Above, there will be new, market rate apartments and a selection of affordable, income-based housing options. The affordable housing options include one, two and three bedroom living choices. All options will be pet-friendly.

Cinda and her brother Evan Jones closed the family lumber mill in 2011 to begin the Mill District project, which they aim to develop into an “eats, arts and entertainment destination.” The first part of the construction was to renovate the old barn into space for Atkins Farm in 2015. That was around the time Beacon Communities stepped in.

“Cinda hit the nail on the head by creating a destination in North Amherst,” said John Reardon, marketing vice president for Beacon Communities, who he states wants to help communities grow, making the two a great match.

The amenities the project is going to give Amherst was why Arthur Haskins, Beacon Communities Property Manager, knew North Square was a great investment. “Towns are always going up or going down, and Amherst is definitely on the way up,” he said.

Commercial spaces are still available for lease. Interested leases can call 413-549-1403 or email [email protected] For more information about North Square Apartments, call (413) 345-2778

• Be There or Be Square: Cowls family makes huge strides with North Square project

Around the Valley

Deteriorating Amherst elementary schools one step closer to needed repairs

Around the Valley

UMass FTK raises nearly $300,000 for Baystate Children’s Hospital

Around the Valley

Five must-try restaurants in Hampshire County

Around the Valley

UMass for the Kids: Dogs, Dancing, and a Day of Hope

Around the Valley

The Divided World of the UMass Student Government Association

Around the Valley

Riders, drivers react to PVTA changes

Around the Valley

What happened to Hampshire College?

Around the Valley

Pot for thought: marijuana’s impact on local food businesses

Around the Valley

American Moor: A true one-man show

Around the Valley

UMass students turn empty alleyway into festive community space