Be There or Be Square: Cowls family makes huge strides with North Square project

Cinda and her brother Evan Jones closed the family lumber mill in 2011 to begin The Mill District.

(clockwise from top) Cinda Jones, 9th Generation Cowls Family land owner, John Reardon, Vice President of Marketing for Beacon Communities, and Arthur Haskins, property manager of North Square for Beacon Communities, in front of the North Square construction and Atkins Farm. (Shae Feather)

1555183860:58

58

AMHERST – The Mill District in North Amherst is currently undergoing one of it’s largest makeovers. However, with the construction of North Square, opening this summer with shops and restaurants, the general public needs stores and affordable housing options.

Cinda Jones, the ninth-generation Cowls Family landowner, came up with the concept with her brother Evan.

“Each generation of our family has transformed the land into what we thought was most beneficial to the community at the time,” said Jones.

The construction of two large buildings is currently being completed – with the first floor of each being used by the Cowls Family as rented commercial space. Above, there will be new, market rate apartments and a selection of affordable, income-based housing options. The affordable housing options include one, two and three bedroom living choices. All options will be pet-friendly.

Cinda and her brother Evan Jones closed the family lumber mill in 2011 to begin the Mill District project, which they aim to develop into an “eats, arts and entertainment destination.” The first part of the construction was to renovate the old barn into space for Atkins Farm in 2015. That was around the time Beacon Communities stepped in.

“Cinda hit the nail on the head by creating a destination in North Amherst,” said John Reardon, marketing vice president for Beacon Communities, who he states wants to help communities grow, making the two a great match.

The amenities the project is going to give Amherst was why Arthur Haskins, Beacon Communities Property Manager, knew North Square was a great investment. “Towns are always going up or going down, and Amherst is definitely on the way up,” he said.

Commercial spaces are still available for lease. Interested leases can call 413-549-1403 or email [email protected]. For more information about North Square Apartments, call (413) 345-2778

https://youtu.be/i92b-NhyaZk

• Finding Comfort in the Minority

About

Finding Comfort in the Minority

• Lorusso doing someone’s makeup

Current Affairs

A peek into student-run small businesses at UMass Amherst

• UMass Student Farmer’s Market Emphasizes Community and Sustainability

Climate Change

UMass Student Farmer’s Market Emphasizes Community and Sustainability

• The UMass Permacultures Franklin garden currently grows over 300 species of plants.

Features

UMass Permaculture Garden grows space for community

• Credit: NBC

About

Wire Staff Recommendations: Childhood Classic

• Pictured:Outside of the Econo Lodge

Current Affairs

The Reality of Transfer Students Living in the Econo Lodge

• Photo: Myung J. Chun/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images

About

What Didn’t Happen at the 2022 Primetime Emmy Awards?

• Source: Philip Chappell

About

Finding strength through Kate Bush

• Photo courtesy of UMass Dining

About

Students reflect on UMass administration’s support during Ramadan

• Offical Poster for the O-Hill Festival. Courtesy of Sawyer Phillips

About

A Look Inside The O-Hill Music Festival

Activate Search