UMass Athletics suspended over fears of COVID-19

The university’s athletic program made the announcement Thursday, following Wednesday’s suspension of on campus learning.

MassLive

MassLive

AMHERST — In an email, to students, Wednesday, the University of Massachusetts has announced the indefinite suspension of on-campus learning due to growing concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic. Following the lead of other prominent schools in the state such as Harvard, Boston College and MIT, UMass joins the growing list of schools taking this precautionary step. But with the winter sports seasons drawing towards their championships and spring sports just around the corner, the prospect of playing on UMass’ grounds anytime soon is grim.

In an announcement Thursday on the UMass Athletics website, the university has suspended all home and away games and meets that were to take place over spring break, and suspended the season of UMass’ spring sports indefinitely, including lacrosse, baseball, softball and many others. In a statement on their website, the NCAA has made the decision to cancel all remaining NCAA championships, including men and women’s basketball and ice hockey, all of which UMass student-athletes were set to compete in the upcoming weeks.
“I’m absolutely devastated right now.” UMass head ice hockey coach Greg Carvel said on his personal Twitter account Thursday in regards to the cancellation of the NCAA ice hockey championship tournament. “I feel for everyone in our program. The sacrifices that are made year-round to earn the right to play at this time of year can not be minimized. I was so excited for this group to make another NCAA run. But life goes on and I am very grateful.”

The Atlantic 10, Hockey East and Colonial Athletic Association conferences have also announced the suspension of their programs and championships at this time. It is unclear if there is a plan to lift these suspensions anytime soon.

These announcements come as no shock following the suspension of most major league sports on Wednesday and Thursday after an NBA player tested positive for the virus Wednesday evening.

This article will be updated as the story develops.

For more information on the cancellation and suspension of UMass’ athletic programs, please visit the links below.

UMass Athletics Statement
NCAA Statement
Atlantic 10 Statement
Hockey East Statement
Colonial Athletic Association Statement

Email Rachel at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter @RTBevelaqua