UMass to lift mask mandate for most indoor spaces Wednesday, March 9

In an email from the Co-Directors of the Public Health Promotion Center, the university will lift the indoor mask mandate starting tomorrow

The Public Health Sciences Building. Photo credit John Phelan Wikimedia Commons

According to an email sent out to the campus community on Tuesday afternoon from Ann Becker, Public Health Director and Jefrrey Hescock, Executive Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the mask mandate will be lifted in most indoor spaces on Wednesday, March 9 at 7 a.m.

Masks will still be required for public transportation including PVTA buses and in healthcare facilities including University Health Services, the Public Health Promotion Center and the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health. 

Masks will also be required in the Center for Early Education and Child Care. 

The university is closely following guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, mentioning the “improved public health environment” on campus. 

Students may still wear masks at their discretion, and it is recommended for students who are immunocompromised or at high risk for severe illness, as well as students who are not fully vaccinated to remain wearing masks indoors.

For immunocompromised students, the university advises that they “may seek reasonable accommodations for their own documented health conditions.” 

For accommodations, students are advised to contact Disability Services, and staff and faculty can contact the Accessible Workplace Office.

While the university explained that “severe illness is extremely rare” students should continue to monitor themselves for any COVID-19 symptoms and if they feel ill, they should stay home and get tested.  UHS provides symptomatic testing or by obtaining an unobserved testing kit and dropping it off at a campus kiosk.

“This change is a significant milestone as we continue to emerge from challenging times,” the email added. “Thank you for pulling together and supporting health, safety and wellbeing across our university community.”

Email Ethan and Olivia at [email protected] and [email protected]