The best hidden study spots found on UMass campus

Can’t get work done in your room? No worries, here are some of the best study spaces to explore on campus!

Finals season arrives in just a few weeks–if you need a quiet place to study, but can’t do so in your room, here are some of the best places to be productive on campus.

Student Union

Aliana Liz Tavares

The Student Union has open spaces to study in the main lobby or on the stairs leading down to the ground floor. In addition, there are some meeting areas and small study nooks throughout the building.

Aliana Liz Tavares

Student Union hours: 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Friday, 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday. 

Off-Campus Student Center

Aliana Liz Tavares

The Off-Campus Student Center can be found on the first floor of Bartlett Hall. The lounge space is quiet and allows students to study or take a well-deserved break.

Off-Campus Student Center hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Science and Engineering Library

Aliana Liz Tavares

The Science and Engineering Library is located on the second floor of the Lederle Graduate Research Center. The study space on the right side of the library is very quiet and peaceful.

Science and Engineering Library hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

South College

Aliana Liz Tavares

Find a large space to work in at the main seating area of South College. The open space is mostly quiet, apart from the fact that students are passing through for class.

Aliana Liz Tavares

If the main seating area in South College feels too distracting, head over to the third floor. Here you will find the “West Commons,” a quiet study area with workspaces for both individuals and groups.

South College hours: 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Isenberg School of Management

Aliana Liz Tavares

The main lobby of Isenberg has a large workspace overlooking the Haigis Mall. Additional seats are available on the stairs leading up to the second and third floors.

Isenberg School of Management hours: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

W. E. B. Du Bois Library

Aliana Liz Tavares

This is an obvious place to study on campus, however, there are a few floors that are best for quiet studying and working on assignments.

Geared towards students who work best in silence, the “Quiet Study” area on the 5th floor, is just like it sounds.

Aliana Liz Tavares

For collaborative projects and individual studying, head to the 9th floor, where study spaces feel more relaxed in terms of sound levels.

Find incredible views of UMass campus on the 23rd floor. Besides enjoying the beautiful Amherst skyline, small one-person desks are available for those who work best in very quiet places. 

Aliana Liz Tavares

The Du Bois Library hours:  8 a.m. to 12 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Sunday.

Overall, there are plenty of great designated spaces on campus to get work done so you can feel productive and less distracted while gearing for finals.