UMass trounced by Boston College in Hockey East semifinal

Minutemen outmatched by star-studded Eagles
Kalina Kornacki

The UMass hockey team was no match for the Boston College Eagles on Friday, losing embarrassingly 8-1 in front of a packed TD Garden crowd.

The Eagles talent was on full display, as first-round NHL draft picks scored six goals, including one from Amherst native Ryan Leonard, who also notched an assist.

“It didn’t feel like our team tonight much at all,” UMass head coach Greg Carvel said. “BC’s a tremendous team, such an offensive powerhouse.”

The Minutemen took the first lead of the game when junior forward Lucas Mercuri sent one past Boston College goaltender Jacob Fowler. However, the goal did nothing to shake the Eagle’s confidence.

“I think one of the very best parts of our game was when we gave up that first goal, the bench energy was terrific and the guys stayed really positive,” Boston College head coach Greg Brown said. 

After freshman forward Aydar Suniev took a tripping penalty, the Eagle’s lethal powerplay went to work, with Leonard immediately capitalizing, evening up the score. 

Following Leonard’s goal UMass failed to convert off a five-minute major powerplay, and the momentum shifted completely towards Boston College heading into the second period. 

“You kill off a five-minute penalty and you’re not exhausted doing it,” Brown said. “You feel great because that’s a long time short-handed. So, it gave us a boost.”

The remaining three first-round pick freshmen for the Eagles, Gabriel Perrault, Cutter Gauthier and Will Smith all scored in the second period, as well as Eagles forward Andre Gasseau, to surge the Eagles to a 5-1 lead heading into the final frame.

The Minutemen struggled to limit the BC attack in the third period, as the Eagles tallied three more goals, including Perrault and Gauthier’s second of the game.

“Against that team, you have to be at your best and we were a long way from that right from the start,” Carvel said. “I told the guys during the week we have to get off to a good start in this game and I’m not too sure what to make of the game.”

The Minutemen will retake the ice on Thursday afternoon against the Denver Pioneers in the NCAA Tournament. The puck drop is set for 2 p.m. at the Mass Mutual Center in Springfield.