Six transfers UMass Men’s Basketball should pursue

The Minutemen will look to replace two starters through the transfer portal
Kalina Kornacki

Following a crushing loss against VCU in the quarterfinals of the A10 tournament, UMass has seen three rotation players enter the portal. 

Forward Robert Davis Jr. entered the portal after averaging 4.1 points and 1.6 rebounds per game. His season-high came against West Virginia scoring 18 points off 6-8 shooting from three. Since entering the portal, Davis Jr. has found a new home with Old Dominion. 

Guard Keon Thompson entered the portal as well. Thompson spent two seasons with the Minutemen and averaged 9.3 points per game last season. Guard Jaylen Curry is expected to step into the starting role next season meaning UMass will need to look for a guard off the bench. 

Finally, center Josh Cohen entered the portal after just one season with the Minutemen. Cohen was a pivotal piece for the Minutemen’s offensive attack last season scoring 15.9 points per game. He also added nearly seven rebounds per game. His numbers earned him a place on the A10 All-Conference First Team. Cohen will take his talents to the Arkansas Razorbacks in the SEC. 

The Minutemen will head into the portal looking for a guard to come off the bench and a wing with defensive strength. Importantly they will also seek a player to match Cohen’s offensive and rebounding prowess. 

UMass will also look to improve their three-point shooting in the offseason. They shot just 31.3% from three last season, ranking last in the A10. Under head coach Frank Martin the Minutemen will also look for players who can grab rebounds. They ranked at the top of the A10 in combined team rebounds and offensive rebounds. Here are six players the Minutemen can go after in the portal.

Guard Jordan Derkack, Merrimack

After spending two seasons with Merrimack, Derkack has decided to enter the transfer portal. Standing at 6’5” Derkack has the size to play guard or forward. Last season he posted 17 points per game along with 6 rebounds per game. His performance earned him NEC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year. 

He also averaged over two steals per game and earned NEC Defensive Player of the Year honors. Derkack can get it done on both ends of the floor and would be an instant starter for the Minutemen. 

Derkack’s sister, Taylor is also a commit for UMass women’s basketball and will be joining their roster this fall.

Guard Brycen Goodine, Fairfield

Goodine had spent time in his collegiate career with Syracuse and Providence before landing with the Fairfield Stags. Last season, Goodine primarily came off of the bench, but his play earned him MAAC Sixth Player of the Year. 

He posted 14.6 points per game off of the bench and shot 46.7% from three which ranks 19th in the country. He also shot 51.8% from the field which ranks fifth in the MAAC. 

Goodine is also the son of former Minutemen point guard Jonathan Depina who played for UMass between 1997-2001.

Forward Frank Mitchell, Canisius

With 11.6 rebounds per game, Mitchell ranks fourth in the nation. A native of Toronto, Mitchell would be a perfect fit on the UMass roster. 

His play last season earned him All-MAAC Second Team Honors. He also put up 12.1 points per game and shot 56.1% from the field. Standing at 6’8”-240 Mitchell would be a perfect compliment to forward Daniel Hankins-Sanford. 

Martin and staff have been in contact with Mitchell, however, several high-profile schools such as TCU and Missouri have been trying to land him as well.

Forward Jonathan Beagle, Albany

With two seasons under his belt at Albany, Beagle hit the transfer portal looking for a new home. During the 2022-23 season, Beagle earned America East Rookie of the Year honors. 

While he did not earn any all-conference honors this past season he posted solid numbers. He averaged 9.5 rebounds per game which ranked second in the conference and 2.8 offensive rebounds per game which ranked first in the conference. 

Standing at 6’10” Beagle spent his career at Albany playing forward, but his size could allow him to play center for the Minutemen too if necessary.

Center Josh Ogundele, Middle Tennessee State

Originally from London, Ogundele came to Worcester, Massachusetts to play high school basketball at Worcester Academy. Originally he committed to Iowa and appeared in 38 games there over three seasons. 

This past season he transferred to Middle Tennessee State, but only appeared in nine games due to an injury suffered in December that ended his season. 

Before that, he was averaging 3.8 points per game and posted a career-high of 12 points against UAB. Ogundele would have the potential to be a solid presence in the paint from the bench.

Center AJ Braun, Wright State

The UMass coaching staff has been in contact with the Dayton, Ohio product. Braun spent three years at Wright State as their starting center. 

Last season, Braun totaled a career-high of 12.1 points per game. Braun also led Wright State with 36 blocks on the season. 

At just 225 pounds, Braun may not have the size to play center in a physical A10 conference, but could provide depth on the bench due to his rebounding skills. 

The Minutemen will have several options to improve their squad before next season. Despite the losses in the portal, UMass has plenty to gain as well. These six players could all wear maroon and white next season and find success.