UMass Hockey splits series with Michigan at the Mullins Center

The Minutemen bounce back after a disappointing Friday performance in a stunning victory in front of a sell-out crowd
Devin Lippman

An exciting weekend of hockey saw the Minutemen and Wolverines each getting a win in a series split. Michigan came into this series as the heavy favorites, and looked the part after Friday night. UMass was able to battle back in game two and come up with a huge comeback win.

Game One

In game one, the Wolverines wiped the floor with the Minutemen in a 7-2 drubbing. Cole Brady was in net for this matchup and was shelled by the high power Wolverines attack.

Michigan went up 3-0 in the early part of the second period. Defensive captain Aaron Bohlinger scored to potentially turn the tide in the favor of UMass, making the score 3-1. However, the Wolverines fired back viciously. They scored 5 minutes after the Bohlinger goal and punished the Minutemen for two penalties by scoring two more goals on the powerplay. 

In the third period, defenseman Scott Morrow scored his first goal of the season on the power play. Michigan clapped back two minutes later and ended up winning 7-2, handing the Minutemen to their first loss of the season.

Brady finished the night with 24 saves and 7 goals against. Wolverines goaltender Jacob Barczewski was a brick wall. He stopped 22 of 24 shots and helped his team to a big road win.

Game Two

The second and final game of the series brought about a goaltending change with freshman Michael Hrabal getting the nod instead of Brady. Two periods into this game, it looked as if the Minutemen were going down the same track as the night before. 

UMass had plenty of chances but could not get anything on the board. They were down 2-0 heading into the final period. In the final 20 minutes of the game, the Minutemen did the improbable. 

Defensive captain Ryan Ufko cut the Michigan lead in half, making the score 2-1 on a power-play goal. This goal opened the flood gates and electrified the Mullins Center.

Minutes later, defenseman Owen Murray sniped the puck over Barczewski’s shoulder. This tied the game at two apiece.

Confusion ensued minutes before the halfway mark of the third period as Scott Morrow slapped a shot that appeared to hit the crossbar. But after a couple minutes of play, a Minutemen penalty, and a lengthy review, the officials declared Morrow had scored the go ahead goal, giving UMass a 3-2 lead. 

Forward Kenny Connors extended the lead to 4-2 after an incredible snipe on an odd man rush. Freshman Jack Musa picked up the assist.

Michigan, being down by two goals, had to empty their net. Forward Lucas Vanroboys took full advantage of this not once but twice as he cashed in for his first two goals in Minutemen maroon on the empty Michigan net. 

Forward T.J. Hughes did add on a goal late in the game for the Wolverines on the power play but at that point it was too late. The sold out Mullins Center was able to witness an incredible upset as UMass completed the comeback and won 6-3.

Hrabal stopped 24 of 27 Michigan shots, only letting up one goal in even strength as the other goals came with a man advantage. The Minutemen were able to solve the Barczewski puzzle at the right moment, he stopped 25 of 29 shots, allowing all four goals in the third period alone.

Freshman forward Jack Musa tallied five assists over the weekend and was named the Hockey East Rookie of the Week after a stellar performance.

What looked to be a bleak weekend of hockey turned into a confidence boost for the Minutemen. Massachusetts will head to Minnesota State next weekend and will look to push forward after this exhilarating series against the Wolverines.