Style tips for a fashion forward Valentine’s Day

by Julie Shamgochian 

The recipe to an enjoyable Valentine’s Day isn’t flowers or chocolate; it’s the perfect outfit. The romantic holiday falls on a Saturday, which means you have all day to try on everything you own, instead of trying to make your going-to-class sweats work for dinner. Try these tips for piecing together an outfit no matter how you celebrate.

Go for versatile items in neutral tones

Gathering everyday black and white garments is a great starting point. For example, I picked my favorite pair of black jeans. Versatile items like jeans or boots make styling the rest of your outfit easy. Use neutral tones so you can try colors or patterns without the fear of matching or clashing with other items.

Use pops of color or prints

Try to incorporate a warm color palette that includes passionate hues for a festive ensemble. To accessorize, add your favorite tones of pink or red. Add a pop of pink with a purse or clutch. You can even get away with wearing that red Christmas dress paired with tights. My favorite accessory was my pink Timberland boots for a pop of color to contrast with my black and white clothing.

Learn to layer

Pair your favorite sweater with a faux fur vest or leather jacket. This combo not only adds texture, but you’ll also stay warmer. I topped a white button-up with a red long sleeve shirt, and over that, a sporty maroon vest. For work, blend your professional attire with casual wear by adding a blazer. 

Mix things up with texture

Make your look more interesting by offsetting basic items with fur, sequins or leather. Basic winter items like a woolen sweater or cardigan can add a different texture. You can never go wrong with trying a little glitter, gold accents or velour.

[slideshow_deploy id=’9734′]

Enjoy your Valentine’s Day in style. Check out any of the links for items under $50 to complete your look!

Julie Shamgochian can be reached at [email protected]