GoFundMe created for recently passed UMass student, Erick Kang’Ethe

AMHERST – As the UMass Amherst community still mourns the death of junior computer engineering major Erick Kang’Ethe, a GoFundMe created by his family to offset funeral costs has raised over $3,500.

The page was created after his death was announced by the university on Thursday and has seen almost 150 donors.

“I went to high school with Erick, he was so smart and kind,” said one comment left on the page. “I remember seeing him in the halls and always smiling and laughing, I am so sorry for [your] loss. I will be praying for the whole family.”

Kang’Ethe originally went missing Sunday, but his body was found Wednesday night near McGuirk Alumni Stadium. The university has released no official cause of death.

Described as smart, funny and kind by his close friends, Kang’Ethe spent some of his time working with kids through Cultural Exchange Through Soccer, a Worcester-based soccer organization meant to empower youth through sports.

https://www.facebook.com/culturalexchangethroughsoccer/photos/a.155069108198625/750758318629698/?type=3

Kang’Ethe was born in Nairobi, Kenya, but went to Doherty Memorial High School in Worcester, Mass.

The university encourages students to reach out to the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health for support.

Email Brian at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @brianshowket.